Craigs list welder

GoldenMotor.com

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
I was going thru CL and came across a welding machine, its called a mig mate dual, works off 110 its made in Italy,found out later!! so I called,, Price 125.00! well I paid 100.00 , got it home pluged it in looked good it had a noozle but no tip, damn,, started looking for tips all over nobody had any that small,,, its a5mm I never seen a tip that small!I had to order them and theres a no less than50.00 dollar policy so I order bunch of tips all sizes some noozles a liner 50.00 dollars worth of stuff, had some innershield wire .30 in the machine well I had a piece of 1/4 angle laying around so I tried to weld, see if I got fire since I had the tips now,, well it fired up but its too cold the weld is lumpy no fusion and its on high mode ,, I wanted to start my project of a trike with a 50cc engine ! well I guess I'm gonna have to do everything with stick!!,,,,, anybody ever hear of these MIGMATES :-||,,,,,

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My advice has always been to stick with one of the bigger brand name welders. Those cheap little units sold at auto parts stores and discount tool places are all about the same and the buyer will usually end up with the same problems you have.

On top of parts being hard to get, good luck if you ever need it repaired. Most welder repair shops won't touch them. Pay a few dollars more and buy a quality machine. Miller, Hobart, Lincoln are three of the top of the line welders. Parts and service is readlily available and they'll work flawlessly for years. Welders, like any other tool should be thought of as an investment; not just a good deal.
Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Tom

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
A long time ago I learned that when it comes to tools and machinery you get what you pay for. I buy cheep die grinders and some other cheep tools from Harbor Freight simply because they are good enough. If it takes a crap that's ok because there is a HF just 1 mile from my home and $10 bucks buys a new one. I have been tempted to by a Chicago Electric welder form HF, but the little voice in my head just keeps saying no...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you're gonna buy a cheap welder, get a simple stick unit. They still s@#k, but they are reliable and its easier to get decent welds with stick than mig with the cheap units.
All a stick welder requires is rods. Migs need tips, liners, guns, Etc.

siouxindian

Jan 4, 2013
tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
I was going thru CL and came across a welding machine, its called a mig mate dual, works off 110 its made in Italy,found out later!! so I called,, Price 125.00! well I paid 100.00 , got it home pluged it in looked good it had a noozle but no tip, damn,, started looking for tips all over nobody had any that small,,, its a5mm I never seen a tip that small!I had to order them and theres a no less than50.00 dollar policy so I order bunch of tips all sizes some noozles a liner 50.00 dollars worth of stuff, had some innershield wire .30 in the machine well I had a piece of 1/4 angle laying around so I tried to weld, see if I got fire since I had the tips now,, well it fired up but its too cold the weld is lumpy no fusion and its on high mode ,, I wanted to start my project of a trike with a 50cc engine ! well I guess I'm gonna have to do everything with stick!!,,,,, anybody ever hear of these MIGMATES :-||,,,,,
make Shure the mig wire is flux core. unless you have the right shielding gas. that might be your problem?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Since you mentioned checking the wire when used without inert shield gas, I'd just add that the polarity is switched when switching from inert gas to flux core.

MT

From my Hobart Auto Arc 130 picture from manual below.

Attachments

Last edited:

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Yea I understand ,you get what you pay for!!! I wanted to stayway from HF! this unit is made by some company named SIP in the UK and apperntly they do make good machines the newer ones! I guess I got an older one, I know this now after investigating the machine!! they make a wire thats .024 I'm gonna try that on real clean metal,,,If not,, well I do have a GUN!!! 12ga. and I do have a stick machine, A Miller thuderbolt 250!! sounds impresive huh!!!!! well I just wanted to throw that out into the Tavern,,,,

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
.024 isnt a flux core wire.it wont weld without gas.
i have an old 20+ years clarke welder,100 amp 110volt.it served me very well.it was also made in italy.
not implying anything,but if this is your first go at mig welding,rest assured you arent the first one to have trouble.my first experiences were similar,and it took time to get the hang of it.
keep trying,the welding machine is only a small part of the picture.
my first attempts with arc welding were pitiful at best,i blamed the welder and rods,yet my buddy could burn a rod like buttering toast.it looked so easy.

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Yea tool,, innershield was in the machine it's 030 so I'm going with 024 see if that makes a difference, machine might be hot enough to burn that,, the machine came with a gauge on it ,and it explains clearly about changing the polarity for flux core,,I was thinking I'd get a better machine for the money than at harbor frieght.. one question when useing innershield do you use a nozzle???

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
my understanding is,.024 is a solid welding wire.no flux core made that small.so to weld with it,you will need a shielding gas.carbon dioxide bieng the cheapest,and blends with argon go up in price.i pay 170 a year for bottle rental and a bottle ususlly goes two years.

the .030 innershield should work with some experimenting,amps right up and wire feed low.i was welding with my lincoln on 22 guage sheet metal,.030 wire and it worked fine.
if i saw a pic of the welder front panel,showing your setting and the weld it made i might be able to offer better suggestions.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had to get used to using the right angle (varies for different work) holding the nozzle and also the right distance from work, then it got better. The chart on the Hobart mentions thicker metal can be welded when using the flux core. I have not tried it, but it came with some sample 0.030 flux core, I'll try it some time.

Also what I've done is use a sweeping motion and stay in one spot for two or three passes and inch forward to get penetration on thick metal that the machine is not really meant for, but does alright. I got about 1/4 steel to weld on my 130 welder.

MT

PS, the nozzle should be on when using for inert shield gas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Best advice for new welders: SLOW DOWN!
Ditto: And don't try to make one long continous weld on thin material. Use the spot and connect method. Weld, about a half inch, stop, move away from the last weld and lay another short bead.
And don't try to make a fuel tank for your first project. Welding a liquid tight seam is better left for the more experienced.

Tom

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Well guys I've been busy with my other project and haven;t touched the MIGMATE in a week , but I will get back to it , I don't think I'm gonna switch to flux just yet I will get a smaller innersheild wire .024 first and i'm gonna use clean metal at a slower pace see what happens, another thing I had't mentioned the wire speed knob is broken off, I control it with a flat screwwdriver, but thats no problem........