Does anyone know anything about this Morini engine?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very interesting! I'd love to hear how that variator drive works in the real world. I've often looked at scooter motors with bad intent.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I got that same engine but hadn't done anything with it yet, was going to build up a trike and use it there, but a customer at my shop who also builds and sells motorized bikes for extra pocket money told me he has a decent Stingray bike that he's willing to sell me. If I can get the Stingray I'll be putting this engine in it.
From the little info I've found on this engine it came out of a Motobecane EW 50 mini dirt bike and I was able to find a youtube of one in action, it appears to be a really torquey engine with a decent top speed around 40mph in the dirtbike. What's cool about it is that there's a 70cc kit for it that would bump the power from 3.9 hp up to around 6.5 or so and more can be had if a bigger carb was installed along with some mild porting (and the right pipe) it could easily put out 7 to 8 hp with the potential to put out over 10 hp if the porting is done more radically, more compression, a good pipe, and the right ignition timing curve.
My plan is to just add the 70cc kit, a 21mm carb, a pipe, and some mild porting as I'm not sure how much power the built in CVT can handle before it starts to eat belts or break parts. 6 to 7 Hp should be plenty enough in a stingray frame that'll be more of a daily rider than a racer. Even with the stock 3.9 hp the CVT will ensure decent acceleration along with a respectable top speed.

Last edited:

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I don't think they are available anymore. Denardis engines have replaced them.
Mortini engines are no longer being made from what I have been told.

Denardis had a sale before Christmas I should have taken advantage of, but
I had just started messing with these china crap engines. Oh well I,m moving
up, to the Denardis engine, but paying the get what you pay for deal.

Fly

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
These show up at treatland from time to time, I had to ask them to email me when they had more available then about 3 months later I got the email they were in stock so I bought it as soon as I was done reading the email.
When it delivered it was definitely not a new engine but a used one in really good condition with a new carb and new cvt parts installed. I pulled the cylinder and it looks like the cylinder bore was new or replated, and the rings were new.
It also doesn't come with the CDI or coil, just the wiring from the mag and points so these parts need to be bought separately.

I've also looked for these engines on other sites and only found a few that were complete, most were just parts or missing too much to be worth buying, but they were used in a 1980 Motobecane EW 50 dirtbike, very few youtubes on these and not much info on the net about then either so this ngine is rare if you can get one, and parts are tricky to find, but treatland does stock the big bore kit for this one as well as the larger manifold and replacement belts which are also ultra hard to find.

I'll still use this engine on a project but it'll be one that's not ridden a whole lot mainly due to the lack of replacement parts available if something does wear out or break.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Here's mine in "as purchased" condition... It does have a few broken fins, but not bad enough to worry about overheating... This one puts out 3.9 hp stock so it's not a screamer but with the cvt and being set up for low rpm power these engines do well in heavier builds where top speed is less important than good bottom end torque.

I've been thinking about putting this in a Schwinn Stingray or a utility trike to make look like an old Servicar, but I'm open to all suggestions, this one won't be a daily rider but more of a show bike or trike...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If it has a tiny carby on it like the S6T model? The only difference I ever saw for the most part was better reeds and a bigger carby make a S6S model at 10 plus HP from a S6T!

I have not got to get up close and personal with the OP's motor or Daves. It is a nice thunk tho aye?

Does look like a small intake on that motor? I wager I could get a few Phonies out that model. Nice score!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If it has a tiny carby on it like the S6T model? The only difference I ever saw for the most part was better reeds and a bigger carby make a S6S model at 10 plus HP from a S6T!

I have not got to get up close and personal with the OP's motor or Daves. It is a nice thunk tho aye?

Does look like a small intake on that motor? I wager I could get a few Phonies out that model. Nice score!
Thanks...
Stock carb for this is a dellorto Sha 14.14 so there's definitely room for bigger, the carb in the picture is actually a nt speed carb just to keep stuff from getting inside the engine while its waiting for a bike....
I think the upgrade manifold for it at treat land is for a 21mm and they also have a big bore kit for it to bring it up to 70cc so bigger carb, better reed valve, and the big bore kit could easily bring it closer to the 7 to 8hp range... of course if the big bore was added a 24mm might be a better carb choice along with some mild porting this thing could perform. I'd definitely buy up some spare belts for the cvt to keep on hand if I do upgrade it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I got a 21mm carby on a 50cc Morini and it is specked over ten horse power. I would say 12 hp at sea level perhaps. How you figuring for 7 to 8 HP? In better words I think it might be able to do more? ;)

You let that thing breath better its gonna rev up high I am sure of it! With a fair prowless low end too.

Is the stock jug and all still in good shape?

That big bore kit is gonna put you at around 20 hp me thinks.

Edit just reread your earlier post you know what’s up!!.:D(^)dnut

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As Sgt. Schultz on Hogan's Heroes would say: "I know nothing.....I know nothing Der Commandant!" :D I know a little something about some Morini's in general, but I'm not telling...sorry laff

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
yup... the jug is still in great shape... a broken fin on the outside but the bore on this one is imaculate... I've just throwing out conservative numbers until I find out more about this engine... Just bought it a few months back and set it aside until I got my shop set up... still got a lot going on there too since I haven't hired any help yet. But I'm sure it can make the big power by adding more rpm so the torque shouldn't be too strong for the cvt belt... If I can get upwards of 10hp just by upgrading the intake and carb that's a really sweet deal.
The engine costed me $430 after shipping costs. The big bore kit is only $100 and if I remember right, the intake and reed upgrade isn't very expensive either. the link at treatland is messed up right now but here's the direct link to the engine's description... https://www.treatland.tv/franco-mor...start-eng-p/franco-morini-complete-engine.htm

Here's the big bore kit that bolts up to it... https://www.treatland.tv/malossi-45...BK-MORINI-p/cvf-mbk-ew-malossi-kit-314195.htm
Kinda hard to pass up this deal so mine will most likely get this before I get a chance to install it in anything... Just gonna have to build a really strong frame, drive train, and rear wheel setup if it has the potential you say it can do when upgraded... Here's the link to all the upgrade parts treatland has that fit this engine... http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=MBK+CVF+EW+50+av14 May need to do something different for a better reed unless you got any links that wold help in that area.

How are the ports on the 5.8? is it a 4 port with a boost port on the intake? The 50cc jug that's on it has very similar ports to the 70cc cylinder in the pics at treatland... I did notice the ports were pretty well sized for the engine when I pulled the head after I got it. If the 5.8hp version has the same type ports then it most likely could make closer to 10 hp or more just by letting it breathe and rev up more. I'm assuming this thing can rev pretty high once it can breathe, and these may have been detuned to 3.9 hp for the type of bike it was in and the age group of the riders the bike was built for etc.

I'm starting to like this engine a LOT better already and may shift my thinking on what to build with it... this May just be a good cantidate for making a Boxxer type bike to put it in after all :D ... May be paying harbor freight another visit to get some tube bending equipment real soon... now I Really wanna make a killer frame to put this engine into... (p)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
On a S6T verses a S6S air cooled. There is no difference. At least there was not any what so ever on mine. The water kewled has a subtle difference tho. Like only one piston ring don't remember what else. Was something just cant recall?

So all I did was slap a real set of reeds a 21mm carby. Done deal.

I did forget I swapped over the S6S ignition too. It was different and I think I like it better.

I did not worry about porting. Shoot remotely comparing these to a crap china 2 smoke is absolutely comical for a lack of better descriptive words..lafflaff

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Definitely not gonna mess with the porting on this one... basically there's no need to, but I will take your advise on the bigger carb, manifold, and reed setup and see what it does from there... The ignition is another area I can do because the engine only comes with the ignition components under the side cover so the CDI and coil still need to be purchased. If one is better than the other that's the way I'll go as well.
I know treatland sells an ignition upgrade package that switches out everything but it's kinda pricy so I plan on just getting the CDI and coil it needs until I get it up and running.

For the 70cc kit, i'll see how it does as a 50cc but maybe get a kit if more torque is needed, considering this one has the CVT built in, that shouldn't be a problem once geared properly. I'll most likely gear for about a 45 to 50mph top speed so it should still have plenty enough boottom end with the cvt.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sounds good Dave. Been my experaince up to a 21mm is do able. However they can take up a chunk of ones life fine tuning? Prolly depends on who is doing lol. In my case it was myself. ;)

Mines got's after market atomizer,needle, jet etc in it to get it right. Had to find the right size needle for my off ilde progression. Even customized my needle with sand paper ''tiny tiny bit'' chucked up in a drill. Those were good times lol. Dang well worth to me tho. I got power everywhere for the most part now.

My engine does not like to idle for too long or it loads up. So I blip the throttle a tiny bit ever once in a while at the likes of a stop light. Also depends on weather it is the month of july or the dead of winter. Prolly part of this is my altitude.

Think little dragster engine. Those reed velves are part of the equition I am sure no matter what.

My carfully chosen jet was gradually opened up after a hourglass shape. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Runs wicked!

Last wanna say a reeded motor will like a 4 stroke engine type Atomizer too from what I have read.

When I had my little 5.8 hp S6T with the smaller carby/reeds . It would idle all day.

When I had 19's or 21mm on a china girl. They idled just fine. IME

Just what I found.