Clutch arm is HARD to pull

GoldenMotor.com

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
with my fingers I can barely wiggle the clutch arm. I installed the cable and i can move it now, but just maybe 15 degrees. would that fully disengage the clutch? or does it need to move more like 45 degrees?

2011 skyhawk slant head

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
The clutch lever will move possibly 30 degrees or so, but the actual engaging/disengaging of the clutch only takes places within the first 10 degrees or so of the levers travel.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Is your cable well lubricated? If the cable is dry or the cable is binding around the hand lever, this can cause issues of not being able to pull the hand clutch in and it will feel very tight.

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
Yes it is lubbed. but that answers my question, i just needed to know how far it was supposed to move, it moves about 15 degree and then becomes difficult, i guess thats why!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
using your hand on the lever AT THE ENGINE with no cable is not any indication of how hard your clutch pull will be when assembled correctly.

Last edited:

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I've actually had to ride my bike without the cable once. The cable sheathing pulled through the collet that fits into the lever, rendering it useless so I had to use the engage and disengage the clutch by hand. I would push the lever in all the way as it would hold by itself and pedal for a few feet then trip the clutch arm and it would fire up. It was crude but it worked in a pickle. I did not have an operable clutch and had to avoid coming to complete stops altogether also. I had to only make right turns when necessary, or do circles in parking lots to get out into traffic so that the engine would not stop.......it was crazy. It's nice to have a working clutch cable.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
with my fingers I can barely wiggle the clutch arm. I installed the cable and i can move it now, but just maybe 15 degrees. would that fully disengage the clutch? or does it need to move more like 45 degrees?

2011 skyhawk slant head
Can you pedal or push the bike with the clutch disengaged? Squeeze the handlebar lever and try it. If the clutch disengages you'll feel little to no resistance rolling the bike. If the cable isn't tight enough (pulling the clutch actuator arm in enough) you'll feel the compression of the engine and the back tire might slide.

Tom