Made my own sprocket adapter

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Don't throw stones! And anyway how about you show us the sprocket adapter that you made.
:crash:
I'm not throwing stones, I'm just saying OP is a bit optimistic in thinking patenting it is viable or even wise if the patent system is that obtuse for this "idea" to go through. Regardless, I see lawyers in OP's future. His application of the idea is no doubt clever, but sharkjumping kinda doesn't work.

It's not that much different than what's already out there and for sale by various companies. As for the sprocket adapter _I_ made (the mention of which is a logical fallacy made on your part, btw Wheelwoman), I did in fact sorta make one back in 2007. A simple laser-cut plate that worked with the chinagirl ragjoint, which allowed the use of 110 or 130mm BCD bicycle sprockets. I used a 41, 39, and eventually 34 on it. There's a picture of it in my "SA7" album on profile.

Wow Mr. Aleman, little grumpy?...lol.
Yes, I'm getting a patent for it...
I'm a mechanical engineer with my
tool & dye journeyman's
card... and I patent everything.
Why wouldn't I ???
Ok, this part isn't going to sell
a million units on home shopping network...
but if I can sell a couple, why not?
I've made quite a bit of extra cash with
my patents... and I'm pretty proud of that.
This part isn't for everyone. it's not
stylish, although I happen to like it, but if someone
needs one... I can help them out.
Now go take your medication :)
Not grumpy at all sir. Your implementation of an old idea is clever, I just find the fact you're trying to patent it overly ambitious on your part. :D

As for medication, I take none but caffeine and Mary, if you must know. You two quoted so far are jumpy! Shark jumpy? Not yet. :D

The concept is exactly the same as any clamp on style. It puts no more stress on the spokes that any of the well known types. It relys on the clamping action on the hub.

Look at the design again, Caleb, and I think you'll agree. Yes, there is the potential for spoke damage, as there is with any clamp on adapter or rag joint if excessive slippage occurs. But that's the idea. It's not supposed to slip. As long as there is sufficient surface contact area at the hub, it shouldn't.

Tom
Sure Tom, it shouldn't slip, but IMHO certain applications it just might. I have further reservations that are best not quantified in this medium.

Carry on rotfl

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here is something I learned a long time ago about patents. I had a small business owner once tell me that patents are easy to circumvent by changing the design just a little bit, but by copyrighting a drawing of the item it is much hard to circumvent the changes. IE it lets you go after them easier.

Though I see nothing wrong with getting patents if you feel they are worth it.

By the way I think you have a great design there and if used right it should never slip. ie within its ability to clamp down.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I can't comment on the uniqueness or viability of the new design as compared to existing designs but I can regarding patents and patent applications. The best example for the value of a patent I filed through our company was submitted nearly four years ago. It scheduled for review this spring. Because we are a small company we qualify for the fast tract program at the patent office. That's right, four years is fast. In the first year to year and a half do not expect any company of size to be willing to talk to you about buying or licensing as the IP is not public. Think "Taco Bell Dog" lawsuit. A US patent will cover manufacture and sale in the US, that is all. International patents are fled by individual country except for the EU. In short be prepared to spend at least $15-25K for a five year or six year long process of getting a US patent. If you are being charged less it is because you are not getting search or infringement services. The next big issue is are you prepared to protect that patent in court? No one protects the patent for you. You have to pay the fees to sue.

I'm not sure what compromises you have made by showing the design in a public forum. There is no implied non-disclosure or non-compete on the Internet.

Bottom line would be do you expect to sell enough of these to recoup the expense of the patent process even if you don't get the patent? Would you be better off saving the legal fees and ramping up sales to fund the next idea?

Last edited:

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
yeah patents are something I wouldn't recommend to just anyone. I happen to have worked for a company that does hundreds of patents a year and they got the system down pretty well. I'm in good with them even though I no longer work there and I run my design patents through them with minor ownership rights changes to the paperwork. If it wasn't for that fact, I wouldn't bother with doing it at all. I just am able to get it done very quickly and easily and that's the only reason I continue to do it.
Do I see myself making a lot of money? No.
Do I see myself going after someone for a similar design? No.
Do I like the fact that I can say I hold patents for over 30 original designs? Yes.
I make money with my patents when someone wants to make a product themselves and I sell them copies of the prints. It's easy money and I suggest it to anyone that like a few hundred dollars extra per year.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Your former employer foots the bill for your patent applications or they just handle paperwork? Either way it's a sweet deal that most don't have access to. If you were paying the maintainence fees let alone the application fees for those patents then it would take more than a few hundred per year per patent to be worthwhile.

You seem to be making it work for you so whatever your motivation I can understand going for it.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
looks slick and might be a winner.

Patents? dont waste your time. You've shared instructions on how to build your system on a public forum. you havn't sold any of them either to establish a trademark. There is also no non-disclosure agreement to sign in viewing your images.

Put your energy into perfecting your tooling and product, stamp your name in it, and sell them. F**K spending money in the patent office.

Get busy making and selling. We will buy a beautiful well though-out product before the cheap clone.

The market is too small.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
looks slick and might be a winner.

Patents? dont waste your time. You've shared instructions on how to build your system on a public forum. you havn't sold any of them either to establish a trademark. There is also no non-disclosure agreement to sign in viewing your images.

Put your energy into perfecting your tooling and product, stamp your name in it, and sell them. F**K spending money in the patent office.

Get busy making and selling. We will buy a beautiful well though-out product before the cheap clone.

The market is too small.
He has his former company that he worked for spend most of the money. Read back a couple posts and you will see where he states this and has done it for other items.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like a nice adapter. Any idea what you would charge for them... say ones just like in the thread? It is always good when we have another option available to us. Good luck with your endeavor and thanks for sharing your idea.
SB

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
If I'm gonna make and sell them I would like to do at least 10 at a time... if I can get that many people asking for them that would be great!
And If someone would want to buy copies of the prints, so you could make it yourself, with all the dimensions and tolerances, I would be willing to do that too I would have to guess the cost for me to manufacture them would be at least $100 or more... you gotta remember these are made from billet aluminum and not cast like I'm assuming the similar ones on the market are, so these would be much stronger... and material is not cheap.
I would sell the prints for $10, and you could share them with friends :)
Keep in mind, I made this for my original 36 hole Schwinn S2 wheel with New Departure hub and 4 cross spoke pattern... so thats what this will fit. I'm not making any claims that it will work with any other wheel/hub/spoke cross combination... without modification of course.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I would have to guess the cost for me to manufacture them would be at least $100 or more... you gotta remember these are made from billet aluminum and not cast like I'm assuming the similar ones on the market are, so these would be much stronger... and material is not cheap.
The sprocket adapters made by Manic Mechanic, Pirate Cycles, Sportsman Flyer
and others are machined out of billet, big 1 & 1/2" and thicker chunks of aluminum so your assumption is off.

They also sell for quite a bit less than $100, some are as inexpensive as $45