It's getting cold...

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
As winter comes near I am reminded by others about what a choice time i chose to sell my car. Anyways, my motor does not like the cold. In the morning it stays about 40-50F. At night my motor quits, and it won't start too easily in the morning.

So could I add fuel stabilizer? higher octane? New spark plugs? put a heating pad around the motor? Pedaling a 65lb bike is not fun...

The only thing I should note is that the cap on the exhaust was removed (too much back pressure, wouldn't start,)

It's a new Grubee GT5. NT carb. Gonna use propane gas to check for leaks.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
hit the tickler twice, or one slightly longer push, full choke, rock it back till it hits compression, then fire it up, i can start my motor down to -20 degrees. thats as cold as it got last winter, it will usually pop off a few times with full choke, then go to half choke and it will fire right up, let it idle for a bit till its warm and then motor off. and your lucky, 40-50 is a nice day here, its 32 with a 8 degree wind chill right now.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
As winter comes near I am reminded by others about what a choice time i chose to sell my car. Anyways, my motor does not like the cold. In the morning it stays about 40-50F. At night my motor quits, and it won't start too easily in the morning.

So could I add fuel stabilizer? higher octane? New spark plugs? put a heating pad around the motor? Pedaling a 65lb bike is not fun...

The only thing I should note is that the cap on the exhaust was removed (too much back pressure, wouldn't start,)

It's a new Grubee GT5. NT carb. Gonna use propane gas to check for leaks.
On some kits when the weather changes you gotta adjust the carb. Something about the climate change does it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Colder air is denser which leans the mix & thus then need for a choke/enrichment.

While cold starts may be a pain, if the motor runs well once warmed up I'd leave it be - the change is so slight it very rarely requires a carb adjustment unless it wasn't correct in the first place :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now that the weather has cooled off, I have to use my choke to get the motor started. I just switched my spark plug from a NGK BP6HS to a BP5HS for the winter. After my motor warms up it runs the same as always.

Going against the wind is a little harder in the denser air.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Yes Biknut... I used to ride with the choke half open... I thought it was adjustable like that. Then I realized I was dead wrong. Now I open it for the start up and work it to the closed position.

There were problems I caused... There was a visible gap between the carb and the intake. I had the choke halfway on. Plus I got a new plug, an NGK and it's keeper.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have heard guys complain that starting fluid blew their crank seals out - don't know for sure, but I have avoided using it.

the chief

Dec 9, 2012
chicago
that is bad information, they are wrong. or you could always get a larger rear sprocket to increase your rpms at lower speed making it easier to start. starting fluid is the best though, use it all winter in chicago.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
their pics won't open in my browser, but the text says that you still need to center the sprocket by hand - why have an adapter then?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
be careful with starter fluids, it strips the oil film off of the cylinder walls, they sell two stroke safe starter fluid. but it costs more. i never had to use starting fluid, even at 20 below zero, full choke, 2 second push on the primer button, pedal once and it will pop off, half choke pedal again and shes running.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
To make it run at the right temp you could make a sheet metal object for blocking the cooling fins.

In racing we do the same thing with radiators and colored duct tape.