Motor won't turn over

GoldenMotor.com

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I can't get my motor to turn over after installing a good condition used motor on my bike.

First I tried engaging it going down hill and it skidded my tire a few times, so I know the clutch is fully engaged. I took off the clutch case and it appears the small gear that turns the motor is locked up. I took off the cylinder head and can't get the piston to move up or down.

Now what?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
assuming that a 'good condition used motor' was turning freely before being installed, it is likely that something fell into one of the ports or down the spark plug hole during install - could also be that something loose got into the gear train

I'd pull the drive gear off the crank first to see if the piston freed up, if not, pull the barrel to check for debris.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
But was it really a "good condition" used motor?
Yes it was, it ran like a champ when I removed it nearly 2 years ago then it sat on a shelf in my dry garage. Possibly the bearings froze up for who knows what reason. I cheerfully refunded moto's money. I'll split the case when I find time to see what the hay is up with it. Piston, rings and cylinder look fine still.

dnut