GT5 vs No Name, stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Just surfing various motorized bike websites and read somewhere that GT5 engines have a shorter stroke? 38 mm vs 40 for the other engines. Is there a significant difference power? More importantly, with the smaller stroke does the GT5 have a higher redline? Just trying to narrow down the selection. If there is a significant difference in power I might just have to forgo that sweet CNS carb.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
really a 2 mm difference it storke?
you won't even notice a difference between the 2 engines.
a shorter stroke generally means that the engine will rev higher and quicker than the same engine with a longer stroke, but 2 mm won't make a difference.
a longer stroke will give you more bottom end torque and a shorter stroke will give you higher rpm power.
but there has to be a major difference in the stroke measurement to see a difference.

a think of an engine with a longer stroke as a farm tractor....will go through anything at slow speeds, hard to stop and will pull a heavy load easily.
think of an engine with a short stroke as a chain saw engine.
it has to rev high and fast for optimum cutting, but the engine will easily stop (bog down or go to an idle) if the chain gets jammed in the wood as you cut.
if you have a long stroke chain saw, you could do the same cutting job at a lower rpm.
normally 2 strokes rev higher than 4 strokes, but even a long stroke 2 stroke engine will rev high....you'll just have the majoroty of the power in the lower rpm range.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
hi matricon
i try to steer people away from skycrooks GT-5 mine is a paper weight and i dont want to fully rebuild it to make all the issues go away and get real power out of it. also the sweet carb to have is the thatdax RT carb that's nice the CNS is a P.O.S. i run the older NT carb which is awesome and the NT speed is also a good choice i have a flying horse kit which you can actualy use out of the box because it comes with the 415 chain not the flimsy 410 that skyhawk uses in there kits (410 lasts 1-5 starts)

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Ok so disregard GT5 and try to obtain a Flying Horse kit then? I thought the CNS was an upgraded carb with more controls and that cool remote choke control, whats wrong with it?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the remote choke is horrible unless you want to just kill the motor all it does is dump fuel into the intake and if you get the CNS its less tuning than any of them. also they have to be jetted to make them run right the RT is top of the line the NT speed is just below it the NT is the entry level all around carb and the CNS is being fazed out because it dosent work its for a different type of engine.

majicfingers

Dec 25, 2012
bum****
i seen this post figured id tell it like it is this site is a joke first of all an 95% of the people too however the little gt-5 with cns carb is best little motor u could hope to find i have two my boy who is 6 1 an 350 lbs im 6 175 lbs he rides his daily gets bout 25 mph and hasnt done nothing to the motor on the other hand my bike ive jetted the carb put a real intake took the s h i t out of the muffler an adjed the float thats it an i go around 35 to 40 mph we have had these two motors for almost a year as for 150 mpg thats b u l l s h i t more like 50 to 75 mpg these are good little motors just got to be smarter then the people on here have fun an figure it out ur self to many bull****ters here peace and haphttp://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/.crt..gifpy motoring.crt..http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/Laffhttp://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/flg.gif.gif

majicfingers

Dec 25, 2012
bum****
forgot i took cable off the choke mine runs very well with out it but leave the plunger in with spring or it will act like its full on

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
GT5 motors are junk, had the chrome flake off of one cylinder, and my buddy luke had two cylinders do the same thing, and i break in at 16:1 non synthetic oil, so it wasnt from lack of oil, its from poor quality control. now my no named motors, i have one with more than 5500 miles on it and still running strong. and i havent got any complaints from the people who bought my other no named motors.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey MajicFingers, don't be shy; tell us how you REALLY feel!

So, my first kit was a GT5. No complaints about the engine, anything that did go wrong with it was my fault. JonnyR is right about the chain that came with the Skyhawk kit: trash. I'm a big boy and swear by #41 chain. It's cheap, strong, reliable, and fits the sprocks perfectly. The CNS is garbage, I have no idea why they're included in the kit but I'll wager that Grubee got a deal on a shipping-container of these POSs and foisted them upon us n00bz as a "performance" carb. I'm sure they work a charm on the engi es they were actually designed for, but they're more trouble than they're worth on our little girls. I went with a <$20US NT Speed (delivered), and will never look back.

I'm running an X80 now as the lower rod bearing on the GT5 went...it's in pieces on my workbench now, and I'm torn between buying a new flywheel assembly and quality bearings, or just buying another <$100US X80 as a spare. Very pleased with the X80 I got from LEB.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i have built over 40 bikes from customer provided kits.
all of them get between 60 and 75 miles from a half gallon tank.....AFTER about 4 or 500 miles!

stay dry
gubba

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
never did a truly accurate test, but I seem to get very good mileage, and even some guys that are a bit rotund are getting better than 100 to a pair of tanks when they ride in the sweet spot & don't flog the engine - never measured the exact usable capacity of the standard tank either