Arrow Cycles Torquer II exhaust - any opinions?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have been looking at (drooling over) this pipe for awhile now, and I will be able to afford it next week. I am a big guy (6 ft 2, 280 lbs.), and I am looking for a pipe with a good powerband that will help mostly with hill climbing and also help with smoother acceleration. Im running a 44t rear. Im not expecting to fly up hills at ithe same speed as i go on a flat, but would be nice to not need to pedal quite so much. will this pipe be good for that? its the first pipe on this page: http://www.arrowmotorizedcycles.com/shop-now---exhaust-pipes.html

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well, bean. It's a shame you're not getting any opinions on this one. I read this thread yesterday and might have answered, except that I don't consider myself all that knowledgable about exhausts.

But let's see what I can come up with.

At a guess, I'd say that performance will be enhanced over the stock happy time exhaust. If only because of that expansion chamber.

It'll likely be louder, too. Though I'm not really all that sure of this.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that expansion chamber so close to my right leg. On the other hand, though, that pipe looks like maybe it could be flipped over so that it runs down and to the left. If the answer to that is 'yes', then I might even want to give that exhaust a try.

If it were me, and I felt more temptation, then I'd go for it. The question of 'do I want it or not' would gnaw at me. I'd just have to find out.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I will reply, I have seen this exhaust in person and have seen it on the Arrow race bikes. They are fast. It's a great sounding exhaust and will always do better than the stock exhaust. The fit looks nice and I think it has a heat shield.

I have considered this for one of my builds if I EVER build another China Girl.lafflaff

I say try it...Bean

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I concur with ccc as I've seen the Arrow Race bikes in action.....they're the fastest running chinas I have seen so far, mind you, they are running case reeds and a few other performance mods on them.

Get it!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks guys. Thats all I needed to hear. Im gonna pull the trigger on it next Wednesday. I dont think this particular pipe has a heat shield, but that's what exhaust wrap is for. Arrow's other pipes have heat shields, but they cost more. I can actually save a little money by wrapping it myself. Once I get it, I will have to see if I can mount it down. I dont know if I am comfortable having it mounted up because I have an oversized (2 gal) plastic gas tank, but I will see how close of a fit it is when I get it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have an expansion chamber now, but its a pocketbike exhaust and it suuuuucks. the chamber is too small I think. The revs top out and it doesnt stay on the pipe hardly ever.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys. Thats all I needed to hear. Im gonna pull the trigger on it next Wednesday. I dont think this particular pipe has a heat shield, but that's what exhaust wrap is for. Arrow's other pipes have heat shields, but they cost more. I can actually save a little money by wrapping it myself. Once I get it, I will have to see if I can mount it down. I dont know if I am comfortable having it mounted up because I have an oversized (2 gal) plastic gas tank, but I will see how close of a fit it is when I get it.
That Arrow pipe is good for a fairly standard motor. I have ridden a
bike that had it on and it's a great performance gain for a bargain price.

Pipe does not heat your leg up.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thats cool. The header might still be close to my gas tank, so I may need to wrap the header. other than that, I think it will be allright. Im gonna email them and ask a couple questions.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
you did not say if you have any motor mod's. i recomend cleaning the ports and the piston skirt mod and of course the puch head to keep the piston cool and alive.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, my motor is stock and already has enough compression that it usually takes 2 bumps to get it started. I dont need any mods done. I did clean up my intake manifold a bit with a dremel the other day, but thats as far as I want to go. im just too damn lazy to take my motor apart.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I talked things over with my wife, and I somehow convinced her to let me order arrow's chrome pipe with heat guard, even though it costs $30 more. Now I am even more excited lol.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I talked things over with my wife, and I somehow convinced her to let me order arrow's chrome pipe with heat guard, even though it costs $30 more. Now I am even more excited lol.
Fantastic, I cannot wait to hear what you think about that pipe! I have been considering going with that pipe too, just not sure if it would clear my Puch head or not...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the chrome pipe isnt welded together, so it should be able to be mounted away from the head. it looks like it has a spring that holds the header to the chamber, which is common on dirtbike exhausts and r/c cars ammong other types of vehicles as well. I am hoping to mount it away from the head as well, so the header wont be too close to my gas tank.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Hate to resurrect an old thread but how is that pipe working for you Bean? I am looking into getting one and wanted to make sure it's worth it from someone who has ran one for a while.

EDIT: Had I looked at the next thread on the search I would have seen your thread on the pipe. DOH! Sorry, delete this post.

Last edited:

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I have read as much as I can on both of these pipes on the forums. The pipe you posted came out with so-so reviews saying minor if any boost and only at lower speeds. Arrow, it seems, is custom built, American made, run on some race bikes, and looks to me to be just overall better. I would like to know though if a SBP muffler/silencer will fit on the end of one of these.

dingodog

Nov 21, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Usually an expansion chamber will negatively affect the bottom end compensating for a higher and stronger top end.
That is why most modern 2stroke bikes, (starting with the Yamaha RZ350) have exhaust valves that are mostly close at idle, (to build and keep pressure at bottom end) and opens up when given gas.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I can't speak from experience but everything I have read in these forums indicate that expansion chambers can be "tuned" for what ever range you want them for, generally based on the length of the pipe running to them from the engine and that these are neither tunable nor very much better than the stock mufflers.
I am not disagreeing with what you say, but I would tend to lean towards information from people here who have had first hand experience with them.