removing valve keepers, 97cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

kart35

Dec 5, 2011
Dallas, TX
What's the trick to releasing the valve keepers on this flathead engine? This is the engine off a Baja DoodleBug minibike with 97cc 4 cycle engine.

Thanks, all replies welcome. :)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Valve retainers on most flathead/sidevalve engines typically aren't much different from an OHV engine.

I found the attached pic on a parts.pdf for your engine. Sorry it's sideways, only way I could resize it so it's attachable and readable.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Years ago I bought a valve spring compressor from Sears made specifically for small engines. It looks like a goofy C clamp with 2 extended fingers on the stationary jaw. Works well.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
If you are in a place about saving money or money an issue at this time to buy the tool needed? A valve spring depresser can be made from a pair of large vise grips. That is if you have the extra metal around (as it is a minimal amount of steel) and access to a welder. I use Arc Welder myself.

Last I made like this, was to rebuild my cousin's Chevy Vega. As they were wanting over $200.00 to rent one of their valve spring depressors for his 4 cyclinder. Good luck with your project!
.shft.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well that one is a whole lot different that what I have, but I can see how it would operate.
It also looks easy enough to make with some scrap flat stock for free.

kart35

Dec 5, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have the c-clamp style too, but the end that goes over the spring is too large for 97cc springs (works perfect for ohv 200cc engines).

At approx $20 total w/ shipping, I think I will try to make the tool. :)

Thanks, for replies.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Too be honest, they way I do it normally is just using my fingers. Unless the valve springs are more that 40lb. (which most aren't) my fingers work just fine.

dnut