Source for 4-strokes

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
There is a seller on eBay that always seems to a few GX clones for sale in various conditions. They seem to go cheap enough that even if you only needed one for parts, you should good burned.

taddwholesale | eBay

I just bought this one from another seller....somebody stop me..:eek:

Vertical Shaft Gasoline Engine - Detailed info for Vertical Shaft Gasoline Engine,Engine,Vertical Shaft Gasoline Engine,LTV140 on Alibaba.com

I'm going to find out if my assumption that you can stand this type of GX clone on it's side and run it is correct.

MHF

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
A vertical shaft engine can be converted to run in the horzontal position with the addition of an oil slinger. The Briggs flat heads can use the slinger made for the Horz. model, But there are other issues to be dealt with. The mounting holes require some enginuity to adapt to the change and the shaft may be a problem. There is also the problem of getting the carb on upright. If one gets a mower engine for free it may be worth the effort. Otherwise get the one that is best suited for the intended purpose.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Yeah, the engines on those water pump are probably good ones too. Funny, the HF site calls them OHV, but they're clearly flatheads. By the angle of the cooling fins on the head, I think these might be clones of the old Honda flatheads.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
They are more than likely the Lifan engine. I have four and they are excellent. Have a good deal of torque as they are a longer stroke, yet still rev easily to the mid 5K range. Are very compact and make a nice inframe.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think water pump engines have a non standard pto shaft. You may have to deal with machining something to fit it.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Where would you find a centrifugal or manual clutch with a chain drive for this engine?
You will have to modify something to fit. The shaft is non standard.

Edit: Oops, I didn't check yer link, and I thought you were referring to the WP engine.

You can get centrifugal cluthes from kart parts vendors, NAPA, Tractor supply or directly from Maxtorque company.

On the 99cc Predator, the pto shaft is .005 over 5/8" and is sorta problematic to get a clutch or pulley on.

For a manual clutch, you will have to make yer own using a belt and idler.

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Last night I couldn't sleep (Arthur-itis) so I dinked around on Google looking for info on converting vert. shaft to horiz. shaft. I was surprized how much info is out there. Some solutions are cheap and quick, others more involved. There's also several YouTube vids on the subject.

I guess my intent for this thread was to provide information on cheap alternatives to buying new (expensive for some folks) engines. The money saved can be spent on other parts. To me, the entry level of this hobby needs to be cheap so more people can be involved. Lots of people means lots of ideas. Anyone who's handy with tools and has the time iron out the small wrinkles of getting this stuff to work.

Wayne, .005...more than likely they're machining for 16mm. Do you think a homebrew solution might be to bolt 'er down, fire 'er up and use a smooth flat file to remove just enough ? Take .005 of the crank key as well and should fit fine. Of course you could always send the wife out for an errand and pop the part in the oven....you'd be cussin' if you ever had to remove it though.

MHF

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Last night I couldn't sleep (Arthur-itis) so I dinked around on Google looking for info on converting vert. shaft to horiz. shaft. I was surprized how much info is out there. Some solutions are cheap and quick, others more involved. There's also several YouTube vids on the subject.

I guess my intent for this thread was to provide information on cheap alternatives to buying new (expensive for some folks) engines. The money saved can be spent on other parts. To me, the entry level of this hobby needs to be cheap so more people can be involved. Lots of people means lots of ideas. Anyone who's handy with tools and has the time iron out the small wrinkles of getting this stuff to work.

Wayne, .005...more than likely they're machining for 16mm. Do you think a homebrew solution might be to bolt 'er down, fire 'er up and use a smooth flat file to remove just enough ? Take .005 of the crank key as well and should fit fine. Of course you could always send the wife out for an errand and pop the part in the oven....you'd be cussin' if you ever had to remove it though.

MHF
I wouldn't be afraid to try the oven thing. It will come off easily with a standard gear puller.
From my experience, The file will bounce when the keyway passes and make the shaft sorta egg shaped.

Might do better to carefully and methodicly hand file and measure. When it's close, you can then dress it with the shaft stationary with a long strip of emery cloth.
A short run then with the file and engine running would be OK.

I just started testing the HF 99 CC motor using the Q-Matic drive. The first pulley installed had the I.D. increased to fit the slightly oversize crankshaft. I decided to install an adjustable primary pulley on the crankshaft and didn't want to alter the I.D. I simply started the motor and used #220 emery paper to reduce the crankshaft O.D. to the required 5/8". It didin't take very long and allowed me to keep my adjustable pulley in original condition.

Down side to the tests were speeds above 50 MPH, way too fast for a standard bicycle.

Have fun,

Last edited: