shoofly pie

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Alright, I know this is a Pennsylvania Dutch dish. A lot of southern folk make it too. I have had it where it is like pecan pie, but no pecans, mostly molasses (sp?).

I made a couple for my Dad and myself tonight and they were more like gingerbread in a pie crust.

Anybody else make this kind of pie before?:crash:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Joe, about 4 counties southwest of you is a big Amish settelment where they
make Shoofly rather commonly. I've eaten it there and over at Shartlesville, Pa.
too. Truely I don't care much for it compared to other varieties.

The pecan pie without the pecans sounds like what my grandmother used to make called "transparent pie".

I've not seen the gingerbread-like pie filling you describe but if it were white in color it would probably look similar to the shoofly I've tried.

The shoofly I've eaten has a kind of milky looking filling with a texture similar to
a keish. I've tried it several times trying to like it but just never could get into it. And the Amish offer so many other delicious varieties.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Must one of those things like Key lime pie. Every one is different, all claim to be "authentic".

I live in the heart of the Amish community in these here parts *southern ashtabula county* (a slightly bigger one is just to the southwest in Middlefield- geauga county).

All of the shoofly pie is the kind you are talking about-goo-y.

Well, next time I make it, I'll try the recipe in "The Joy of Cooking", and see how that one comes out...stay tuned.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yeah, if you come up with something you really like I'd be willing to try the recipe you use. I used to hear that old WW2 era song about shoofly pie
when I was a kid and always had my hopes up for trying it. Several of the adults in my family would mumble about their experience with it being a let down. I concluded they were right.

I was willing to bet if someone smeared some cherry or blue berry pie filling over the top of it that it could be served up like chese cake and most people wouldn't know the difference. :)

I came to the conclusion that it's a favorite with some of the Amish just because it's so plain. Ya know....like Amish-Kosher or something.