Racer #5 Updates

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi guys,
I have been slowly updating my personal bike as I gain more experience with it. Some mods have been cosmetic and others for performance. I have been having a hard time finding proper sized rear sprockets for my drum hub. I had been running a 45t as it was the biggest I could find. It was alright for higher speed cruising, but made the centrifugal clutch work pretty hard in the Morini engine. I had a custom 48t cut and then a 52t. I find the 52t to be a good choice around town and run the 48t on the open roads. By using a split sprocket system and two master links I can quickly change sprocket size without tearing the rear wheel off the bike. That is the performance stuff. Next, I took my seat pan to a local upholstry shop with a bunch of photos of original BTR seats and asked the guy there if he could make a decent copy of the seats in the pictures. I thought he did a pretty good job and even covered the bottom of the seat as well. The added flaps to the seat really changed the personality of the bike. Kind of makes it look like a bigger, heavier machine. I also added better grips to the bars. They are called Donkey grips, have a nice vintage look to them, and are just a very comfortable and good looking upgrade.

Racer #5 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Racer #5 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
You can buy actual boardtrack grips!! I bought some and used a smooth grip inside them so they fit my bars ill post a picture of them in a few

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Bro,

You need to show a close up of the sprocket bits so they can see how cool the new set up really is.

In case anyone missed it, the gearing can now be changed without removing the rear wheel -and anyone with a motor bike knows what hassle that is. Because the sprocket is in two pieces you swap gearing with the wheel intact.

Can't wait to try out my new 56 tooth sprocket!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey Bro,

You need to show a close up of the sprocket bits so they can see how cool the new set up really is.

In case anyone missed it, the gearing can now be changed without removing the rear wheel -and anyone with a motor bike knows what hassle that is. Because the sprocket is in two pieces you swap gearing with the wheel intact.

Can't wait to try out my new 56 tooth sprocket!
Here are some clearer pictures of the sprocket and adapter plate I used. No more relying on the moped guys to supply me with what I need. This system uses an adapter plate to go from the moped hub standard to the Kart and Jr. drag racing bolt standard. From there I split the sprocket for ease of gearing changes.

Spacer Adapters by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Quick Change Sprockets by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Do you have to unlace the spokes to mount it to your hub?
It all bolts right on to a fully laced wheel. I just had a spare hub kiching around that I used to test fit the pieces. The moped hub comes pre drilled and taped with a set of six bolt holes for a sprocket. The adapter plate bolts on to these holes to establish the correct offset of the sprocket and this adapter plate then carries the standard kart sprocket bolt circle.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
This makes me happy Pat! Now I can save up to convert to the EZM, couldn't with the 45T sprocket, I'm think a 60T+ will be nice back there for pulling a BOB Yak trailer.