Recycle this

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well i know i have way too many projects and have been steering clear of EBay to avoid adding new projects to the already long line...... but what are you meant to do when the bike you were looking for finds you?.... well you have no choice but to go with it.

Anyway i had been looking on Ebay for another beach cruiser frame, we dont normally see the original Schwinn variety, just the cheap chinese knockoffs, but even they dont go cheaply in Australia and are not very common at all. I was watching on EBay but most of them went for over $100, which is pretty ridiculous.

Well i saw one at work tonight that someone had thrown out and quickly claimed it. Its forks are broken, hubs are a little rusty, but besides that its quite solid, and as a bonus it has a singlespeed coaster brake and alloy rims. Couldnt get the smile off my face....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Now what to do for a powerplant?

Villiers?...... been done
Briggs?..... would be nice but ive just done a Briggs build
5.5hp Honda?..... destined for the indian

Well ive got this 160cc 2 stroke Victa engine that needed a home..... looks like it just found one

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I just did a search on the net and came up with this:

Specifications for early 125cc/160cc Victa 2 stroke mower engines
Bore:

* 125cc .............................. 53.975mm (2.125")
* 160cc .............................. 61.493mm (2.421")

Stoke ...................................... 53.975mm (2.125")
Piston taper:

* Bottom of Skirt -
o 125cc ......................... 53.848mm (2.120")
o 160cc ......................... 61.366mm (2.416")
* Top ring land -
o 125cc ......................... 53.721mm (2.115")
o 160cc ......................... 61.239mm (2.411")

Piston rings:

* Numer .............................................. 2
* Size -
o 125cc ...... 2.381mm x 53.975mm (0.093" x 2.125")
o 160cc ...... 2.381mm x 61.493mm (0.093" x 2.421")

Big end bearing type:

* Early models ......................... 15 steel rollers
* Late models ...................... Caged roller bearing

Little end type:

* 125cc .................................... Bronze bush
* 160cc -
o Early models ........................ Bronze bush
o Late models ............... Needle roller bearing

Connecting rod material ................ Hardened alloy steel
Crankpin material ...................... Hardened alloy steel
Crankshaft type ........................ Alloy steel forgings
15 deg taper on drive end
0.5 in B.S.F thread both ends
Crankshaft main bearings:

* Type .................................... Ball bearing
* Size -
o Magnet side ................................ 20mm
o Drive side (early models) .....20mm inner 17mm outer
o Drive side (late models) ..20mm inner 20mm L.D. outer

Crankcase oil seals:

* Drive side (early models) ........................... 17mm
* Timing side (early models) .......................... 20mm
* Both side (late models) ............................. 20mm

Ignition timing .............................. 3mm (1/8") btdc
Breaker point gap ............................ 0.50mm (0.020")
Spark plug gap .............................. 0.635mm (0.025")
Spark plug type ............ Contact your nearest Victa dealer
Fuel requirement ......... 2 stroke petrol-oil mixture (25:1)

This should help you with that engine.

Terry

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yes for once it seems i had luck on my side......

I have no idea of the horsepower but its a 160cc and it weighs 7.7kg (16.97 lbs) dry, with no manifold or carb. They are an Australian produced ( i think ) lawnmower engine and came in a 125cc variety and this 160cc variety. Im certainly njot very knowledgable on them so if anyone knows more id love to hear....

Hillbilly from Australia built an extremely beautiful "thor" replica with a 125cc version of thois engine..... he went really wild with it and made it a very slim profile and seemed to do away with the flywheel and had electronic ignition and its probably hte nicest MB i have ever seen....

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It appears to be a well built engine. I also saw a couple of YouTube videos of that engine on mowers and 1 on a scooter. The engine looked different though.

Terry

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The mower in that last link was a vertical shaft lawnmower engines, the one im using would be out of a cylinder mower and thus a horizontal shaft mower..... is that what you mean?

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The links were just to give you some info and ideas. I think that if you do a little checking around you might come up with the carb and manifold. Look around in any old dumps where people pitched junk and old no good lawnmowers. You might get a carb that way.

Terry

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks man, ill end up just buying a mikuni carb and making my own manifold i think.

Im just deciding whether i want to do another BTR or maybe something different

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Harry I just can't let You get hurt. If you restore the bike will be great no doubt. Don't put a 16 HP motor on that frame. It won't hold the power for long. You Will get hurt riding that. A motor over 5.0 hp is asking for it. I got one for Entertainment. I don't ride it over a few blocks at a time. Think about this more (c)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
16HP? Im not sure this motor would put out more then 5HP, if that. I will be leaving the engine stock, and most likely gussteing the frame, most likely drum brake moped hubs laced to a brand new set of either 24" Tioga or 26" Velocity downhill rims i have not being used.

I also have a 50cc, 66cc and small Villiers powered bike, so this one will likely be entertainment for me too, and as MB's are illegal here in OZ i doubt id get the chance to ride it more then a few blocks before the police ended my fun.

So Saddle does that sound a little better or do you think i need a custom frame or something?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I couldnt help but have a little play with my new bin find. Im thinking i might build it as a flattracker. I will use a set of 24" Tioga downhill rims that i have and get some really big and tall tyres which should help the look, ill also run a front number plate, make a leaf spring fork, make a tank that sits over the toptube.

Im not building a replica of this bike but it gives you an idea, i think ill do a similar seat setup and simlar tank, but will sit over the toptube and the bottom of the tank will follow the lower of the top tubes.

http://www.bucksindian.com/images/DSC_0024.JPG