Probably the stupidest idea ever

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I've been thinking about this for some time but I've been reluctant to say anything because even I know it's really out there. In my search for cool looking antique motors I quickly realized that they're way over my budget. I recently bought an old ski-doo single cylinder (pretty cool looking) after I had it parked next to one of my bikes...well you know. Anyone ever try it before? The biggest problem I see is the size. 16" tall and 17" wide including the clutch and it has a clutch center distance of 11". I've seen multiple cylinder motors on drag bikes but I was looking for a comfortable ride position.

.trk

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With something that wide your biggest headache is going to be pedaling, or retaining the pedals. many, if not most local laws pertaining to motorized bicycles require that they have pedals, not simple foot pegs. Sure, you can find a way to mount it, even get the power to the rear wheel but if you want it street legal there's those pedals to consider. Check your local laws before you put too much time and effort into the project. And keep us informed if you do it; sounds interesting.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Does sound cool Rupp. Think with those numbers an inframe mount with peddles are out, with out fabing a frame.

Not a thing stupid about this. Just some challenges and speed bumps!

Off the top of my head, would look awesome on a tandem. Rack or pusher?

Build some thing cool.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
To be honest I could care less if it's legal or not I just want to see if I can make it work. I feel myself slowly working my way towards a motorcycle project or at least something more home built. My motorized bike is by far my favorite toy but I'm looking to mix it up some.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
To be honest I could care less if it's legal or not I just want to see if I can make it work. I feel myself slowly working my way towards a motorcycle project or at least something more home built. My motorized bike is by far my favorite toy but I'm looking to mix it up some.
Then I say GO fer IT!!! brnot

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Well after some searching around I found a few motorcycle based projects like I had in mind on you tube. The clutches are so big it really creates an issue for foot placement. The whole idea is getting ugly in a hurry. The main reason for this is fun and it doesn't look very fun (comfortable) in the videos.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well after some searching around I found a few motorcycle based projects like I had in mind on you tube. The clutches are so big it really creates an issue for foot placement. The whole idea is getting ugly in a hurry. The main reason for this is fun and it doesn't look very fun (comfortable) in the videos.
Then I say ditch it....sell that huge, ugly single cylinder relic back to the caveman that rode it before....that's what Huskies were made for.....mush, mush! Snowmobiles.....powered bobsleds, like a short board in surfing....kinda!

Like harnessing a Tasmanian Devil....kinda wide for in frame application, yet powerful!:-|| Where the heck can I install the pedals???

Last edited: