Hello from Oxford, MS

GoldenMotor.com

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
I've been cruising the forums for a while now and I have to say that I'm very impressed with motorized cycling and what you guys are doing to promote it. Oxford is a very bicycle-friendly town (college town), and I've become interested in gas conservation in the past few months. In the past I've been a motorcycle rider (V-65 Magna), but this is not very fuel efficient (I think my Corolla probably gets better gas mileage than the V-65). I'm also interested because I want to find a way to get more exercise (I'm in the computer networking business, so it ain't happening at work ;)).

I just got a new bike and I've decided to get a kit (if I can find the right one!). I do have a couple of general questions if someone has time to answer one or two of them:

1) I've looked all over the Mississippi MDOT website, and I can't find anything on Mississippi law regarding m-bikes... Does anybody have experience here?

2) I bought a Schwinn Sidewinder 26" V-frame bike; what would be a GOOD kit with a Honda or Subaru Robin 4-stroke engine? After reading the forums, I have decided on a few things regarding this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

a) I want to get a chain-drive engine

b) I want a good (non-Chinese) engine; preferrably Honda or Subaru

c) I want an engine that is rear-mount and includes the gas tank

d) The GOOD kit will cost me between $500 and $600

e) I want a four-stroke engine to reduce noise

3) Where can I get one of these GOOD kits in a reasonable amount of time? I really don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for it. I'm anxious to start tinkering!

4) If I understand it correctly, some of these engines can be started automatically by using the clutch, since the chain drive is connected (like push-starting a car). Is this a good idea and, if so, which engines have this capability?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul (Newbie in Mississippi)

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
I read this article! It was awesome! Alas, there was no mention of local ordinances, etc. He's around the outskirts of Jackson, which is more urban but, as I mentioned in my post, Oxford is very bicycle-friendly. I can't find anything on local laws, so I assume that state laws apply. I remember seeing a picture of his bike, and I think he has the type of kit that I'm interested in. I may try to find the article again so that I can get his contact info...

Thanks,

Paul

cvpsmith

Jul 23, 2008
Oxford, MS
I see the difference now. I didn't notice that in the article... That's a great-looking J-D bike! With my first project though, I admit my ignorance and I'm trying to keep it simple (I'm sure you understand!). Thanks to my wife, I have a deep understanding of my limitations ( ;) ). I need to actually show her that I can make it work before I spend a lot more money on my newfound hobby!!

(She's ticky that way)...