my ugly front wheel drive

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Be very careful with that set up, as it's going to put a lot of load on the front rim, which looks like it's seen better days.

Also, it may handle a little differently than "stock".

Centrifugal clutch? Sprocket sizes?

How much have you ridden it?

Last edited:

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
i agree with both of you, it's a little scary. I only droveit once so far, my chain became loose, by pulling the front wheel upward on the slots i made for the axle. Also it was too high sped and had too little power on take off. i have used this motor before on a friction drive bike i built, and it has the power. The centrifugal clutch has 12 teeth and the wheel sprocket is 48. I thought this would work well, because i was comparing it to the two cycle kit bikes. My kit bike had a 44 tooth rear sprocket and 10 up front. I was however led to believe that the kit bike was revving up much higher than it was. Using the gear index calculator provided in this forum, i now realize that the two stroke 66 c.c. kit bike never even hit 2000 rpm. no wonder i got away from that junk. my briggs should rev up around 3000 plus. Anway i will need a bigger sprocket, much bigger. The forks have been reinforced though i kept the weight down as much as possible. the wheel may look a bit rusty but the spokes are tight as is the bearings. Also though you cant tell from the pic, i raised the front end to help put some of that weight onto the back wheel. im not crazy about this build but it did help me practice some welding which is the main purpose i had for building it. i really want to build a bike with a custom frame, i'm just playing around to see how things work before i buy any square tubing to build a custom frame. this bike was all made from scrap as you can tell lol.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
oh, and could anything be more dangerous than a kit bike, i had my two strok junk vibrate everything on the bike loose. i once lost my front wheel cuz it came loose, also i has the handle bars work loose, as did everything else. Even loctite didn't seem to help for long, but then im usually at wide open throttle, that can be dangerous on its own. One major reason i like the briggs, it runs with little to no vibration.

nemlu7

Dec 25, 2008
malta
i agree with both of you, it's a little scary. I only droveit once so far, my chain became loose, by pulling the front wheel upward on the slots i made for the axle. Also it was too high sped and had too little power on take off. i have used this motor before on a friction drive bike i built, and it has the power. The centrifugal clutch has 12 teeth and the wheel sprocket is 48. I thought this would work well, because i was comparing it to the two cycle kit bikes. My kit bike had a 44 tooth rear sprocket and 10 up front. I was however led to believe that the kit bike was revving up much higher than it was. Using the gear index calculator provided in this forum, i now realize that the two stroke 66 c.c. kit bike never even hit 2000 rpm. no wonder i got away from that junk. my briggs should rev up around 3000 plus. Anway i will need a bigger sprocket, much bigger. The forks have been reinforced though i kept the weight down as much as possible. the wheel may look a bit rusty but the spokes are tight as is the bearings. Also though you cant tell from the pic, i raised the front end to help put some of that weight onto the back wheel. im not crazy about this build but it did help me practice some welding which is the main purpose i had for building it. i really want to build a bike with a custom frame, i'm just playing around to see how things work before i buy any square tubing to build a custom frame. this bike was all made from scrap as you can tell lol.
Check this out,it may help you. just remember that with a front mounted engine,error margin....mmmm... does not exist and it can get nasty very quick. enjoy.http://motorbicycling.com/f36/front-mounted-minimoto-engine-16978.html

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
i have two fears, one was going over the handle bars and landing on the engine. i have gone over the handle bars on regular bicycles as a kid, no fun. Secondly, chain problems. chains can come off.when they do sometimes they will bind between the frame andsprocket. if this happens, well, im screwed. Make no mistake, im not advising anyone to build a front wheel drive bike. thank you everyone for the concerns, i appreciate any and all feedback. I honestly never thought of the chain problem until it was built, and while driving chain came loose then came off. I realized instantly what could have happened if i had been at higher speed and chain got caught up. The landing on engine prob i thought of early on which is why it is mounted well below the handle bars. Today i plan to cure the problem of the loose chain, and give her another whirl. my gearing is still to high but i cant change that without some more parts and labor.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
okay, my first test was cut short due to chain probs. After some welding i preveted that from happing again, at least until the chain stretches some. the test went fairly well. the gearing being to high meant i could not really get the bike to speed, and was a little tough on my clutch. My engine is not centered, this means the bike is a two handed driver...lol. I will center the engine, and use a shaft to re-align the chain to the wheel. This also gives me the chance to gear the bike lower. The positive that came out of the test was the stabilty and cornering of the bike, which were good. I was a bit worried about this, as the forks have been raked out kinda like a chopper. Also i feel i have been able to get a good balance even with the engine up front, and that the forks i built are strong enough, as no flexxing was apparent.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really, really like your build. The home built. shade tree engineering look is awesome. No one is ever gonna ask "were'd ya get that?" (I've actually gotten into arguments professing my whisper drive/HF build was not off the shelf from China)

You reminded me of the chain concern with a front wheel drive. Done the face plant thing on a MB. Not fun, your right. So have been thinking belt drive? Or a plate between the spokes and sprocket like a chainring, pants guard? Could be made from any thing and use spacers so it barely clears the chain. If ya only need it once, worth twice the price. (hehe, like a sidearm)

But again, really like the look of your build. Please post a vid if ya can. Would love to see her in action.

OH! I couldn't find any but as a kid in the Bronx, I used to see the delivery guys from markets and Chinese restaurants. They had Worksman (and prolly were!) style bikes with huge baskets up forward. They had kickstands on the front wheel. Would be perfect for your build but can't seem to find any mass produced. Be an easy fab though. (Said the guy who doesn't own a welder or skills, snork)

nemlu7

Dec 25, 2008
malta
I'm guessing that you are running the chain off a centrifugal clutch to the wheel , right?youre gonna need some sort of jackshaft to gear that engine down by at least 5to1 or be prepared to change the clutch often!.......but while it lasts....eh...how i wish i was young again...! Enjoy

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
An update to say i am centering the motor, adding a shaft and im going to try to install a ring with low clearance by the sprocket. it is my hope that the ring will prevent the chain from getting bunched up between the sprocket and the fork. i will gladly upload some more pics when improvements have been made. As for video i would love to although im not sure how ill do that. you tube hates me lol. i cant get my account set up there .

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
thanks Dan, i will check that out once i have some video. I centered the engine and it drives better. i am no awaiting shaft and bearings...i have the sprockets i need
. with the set up i am going with i will have a 45 mph top speed insted of 65 lol. should work better.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, 45 on a bike is scary enough. I get close to 40 and get nervous.
But is great to have when ya need it.