Push trailer help

GoldenMotor.com

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm tryin to build a good push trailer. I am getting frustrated to say the least. i have managed to build a strong hitch point on the bike, and a trailer i could easily mount the motor on. I am unhappy with the way the trailer is towing. i used a single wheel hoping the trailer would lean with the bike during conering. that works but it does not turn well at low speeds.
Perhaps i should go to a two wheel trailer, or perhaps i can build a better hitch. I havent seen much on push trailers in the forums here, just enough that i wanted to try it too. I would like to ask those with working push trailers to post some pics, if you have any and dont mind sharing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is awesome L! Really like DIY look. (I get made fun of for my love of U-bolts and hose clamps. But I really do like the back yard, shade tree built look of some of my builds)

One idea I read her for a ready made throttle is a rear brake cable for a tandem bike. My local place sells em for 13 bucks.

Looks great. Be sure to update on how she does

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well in this case i challenged myself to build from things i had around the yard as much as possible. The clutch, chain and rear sprocket are the only exceptions so far, and i will likely have to buy something to build my throttle cable. I was thinking to of a really long brake cable too. The other thing i wanted was no welds on the bike, a back yard bubble gummer like me has a hard enough job sticking like metals together, so a bolt on hitch was a requirment for me. The wheel is a 16 inch off a child's bike (sorry son), i was suprised it had beefier bearings and spoke's than an adults bike. I may well have to use something other than the 32 tooth sprocket for better low end.(was all they had in stock in this one horse town that day).. I have purchased others since then. my hitch incorperates a heavy duty hinge which will at my estimate , have to be replaced often. I originaaly had the hinge at arond 135 degrees but it didn't tow right at low speeds. By adding the trailer hitch tung and putting the swivelling hinge at 180 degrees greatly improved towing. Now that Canada day is over am hoping to get a cable for the throotle today. will keep you posted.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Oh one other deatil, in pic one you can see some shiny bolts holding thicker metal on opposing side of the motor, thats my ballast wiegt...as others did my motor is not centered, so i used counterweight to balance the one wheel set up. at top pedaling speed the trailer tows well and leans with the bike which is why i wanted a one wheel set up.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
First test run went poorly. In fact poorly enough i may start all over. too much sway in my trailer made for a very hard to control bike. IF i do go any further with it i will post results.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP UNTIL YOUR SOCKS GET WET!!!

Speaking for the rest of us (self appointed an' not gifted) make it work! We are all pulling fer ya. (Bubble Gummers United!) (( I really love that and think we should make it a thing. "Bubble-Gummer's"))

LOL Kicking, "typing in the dark" literally made me LOL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bubble-Gummer extradinaire" Has a really cool yet self deprecating ere. "The ultimate in DIY" Proudly built by a BGE. snork.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
My arm up to the bike is too light and or the trailer is too heavy. Im thinking about getting on to my next build though....this was an experiment and not meant to redefine push trailers as we now them now...lol. It was great practice building it, and thats what i want the most. I would like to build motorized bikes, and im learning more all the time.
Oh by the way im glad you like the bubble gummers comment, i guess it is a local thing....round here we always call a not so good welder a bubble gummer....