Huffy Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I used a pk80 68.5cc slanthead engine on both of the cranbrooks. I'll be honest with you about this bike, Its not very durable stock. You should buy some HD wheels for it and really re-grease the bottom bracket before you motorize it. I also added a front hand brake to both of the cranbrooks I built but the guys who bought them love them and they haven't upgraded the wheels yet even though I advised them to. They are easy builds though.
I know that this thread is a little old... But what do you mean by re-greasing the bottom bracket?

Thanks

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the bearings where the crank goes through the frame is known as the bottom bracket ;)
most cheap bikes need the bottom bracket as well as the headset (where the fork goes through the frame) either re-packed (new grease) or the bearings replaced with higher quality
I did both when building my Micargi stretch :)

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Its amazing for the price, and what it finally ends up looking like. It really makes me wonder if I should of actually took those bikes into acount before looking for a bike to motorize, I'm not saying that I would change my bike but, every cranny I've seen on this forum makes me say "Hay thats a nice looking bike!" nice builds.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
the bearings where the crank goes through the frame is known as the bottom bracket ;)
most cheap bikes need the bottom bracket as well as the headset (where the fork goes through the frame) either re-packed (new grease) or the bearings replaced with higher quality
I did both when building my Micargi stretch :)
I concur Bill but let's not forget to add both wheel bearing sets and anything else one can think of....these bikes are not manufactured to go 30 MPH

front brakes help as well.....

7 cents worth,
Salty.shft.

starzycle

May 31, 2011
Seattle, Wa.
I am also a fan of the Cranbrook. I am "Old School" and appreciate the retro look and they are also good platforms for the motor bicycling hobby.
Two things I would like to bring to everyones attention are:
1. Certain models, apparently sold through WalMart, are being recalled by
Huffy. There is a problem with the handle bars and you can lose control
of the bike. Google "Huffy Cranbrook recall" to get the model and serial
numbers of bikes in question. Huffy will direct you to contact them so
they can send replacements parts to correct the problem.
2. Wheel bearings are poorly greased. I dismantled my new Cruisers and
discovered about a small pea sized gob of grease on my bearings.
Good enough for regular bike riding but probably not good enough for
motorized biking. These bearings should be packed.

"Every time I get on my bike I feel like I felt when I got my first bicycle at age five, and that is a good feeling."

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
How mine sits while waiting for the 66cc race angle head kit from Piston Bikes to arrive.

Need to find a saddle and get a lay back seat post. Guess it wouldn't make much since to find a Brooke's that cost 2x as much as the bike, but dang they look good! I'll save that purchase for the Elgin build.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone know if you can take the front fork of a Schwinn Jag and put it on a Huffy Cranbrook without doing major work on getting it to fit? Would like to be able to switch out the forks to give myself front brakes on the Cranbrook.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
damn! wasn't til i saw the pedals that i believed it was the same bike. i just joined, but in a few days i'll have pictures of my bike to rival some of these... just not yours! also using the huffy cranbrook... can't wait to start a thread talking about my troubles with this POS bike.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Olsmokeybeard-
Thanks man! It's almost ready to fire up. Tried fitting the curb dog side pull brake to the fork to no avail. Pads wouldn't completely reach the rim. So for now it's flipped and mounted under the rear fender cross member mount. Better than nothing. I see you are from Portland, ME! Moving there in a year! My wife and I absolutely love it up there! And Alagash on draft! C'mon! She's currently there right now doing 3 photo shoots. We shoot for Maine Magazine and she recently landed all cover shots for Maine Home&Design.

Here's a few specs on the build:
-Jet 66c Angle Fire
-Puch Hi Hi compression head
-SBP Expansion Chamber
-Port matched intake/exhaust
-Repacked all bearings
-#41 Chain
-"Custom" layback seat post from good ol' Home Depot w/ Vintage Mesigner seat
-Cut/flipped/lowered bars
-White Brick tires

and how she sits while waiting for a few final things to finish up:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Is there any way to install a hand brake on the cranbrook? I don't really like stopping by pedaling backwards.
I put on side pull brakes (front/rear). Ordered them from Amazon for $23 including shipping. Here's the ones I ordered which do fit a 26" cruiser:

Amazon.com: Pyramid Alloy Cruiser/BMX Bicycle Brakeset Front & Rear, Silver: Sports & Outdoors

Also picked up one of these from a local bike shop cheaper than I could online:

Amazon.com: Pyramid Alloy Mountain Bike Dual Cable Brake Lever: Sports & Outdoors

Make sure you buy new cables because the ones which come with the brakes are WAY too short. Got mine cheaper locally at a Kroger store than online.

One thing I bought at Harbor Freight was an 8" bolt cutter. Cuts the lines and outside covers cleanly. Allows you to cut the cables to length and used the ends which came with the cables.

The most important thing you need to replace is the shoes...since you will never be able to stop with the POS pads they include with the brake set. Got these locally and I do stop. When they get worn in...expect them to perform better.

Amazon.com: Kool Stop MTB Mountain Bicycle Brake Shoes: Shoes

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
I never thought of having it pull both brakes at once! How genious. Although I just blew all my money on a motor and wally world huffy cruizer... CTRL+D for now. Thanks!

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
g'damn flatblack, that new carb is AMAZING! i will not be able to stop raving about it for a long time. i left the 60 jet in, not sure i see the need for the 70 or 80. but in less than 2 hours with this RT i've felt my bike come alive. doesn't sound as "beefy" as the CNS, but it runs no hassle!

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Howdy All!

I've got a 24" Boy's Cranbrook that I'm planning on strapping a GXH50 onto.

Yes, I know it won't fit, but I work in a fab shop and I'll be modifying the frame to make it fit.

I'm also serious about getting a EZ tranny to top it off...

I'm having trouble finding a kit that has the "balance" of the parts that seem to not be available due to the "Chinese Labor Shortage"...

Has anyone here attempted the same? I'd rather not "re-invent the wheel" if you know what I mean...

<insert>

I'm attaching a dump (jpg) of the dxf file for the aformentioned frame modifications I'm planning on making.

I'll be chopping the front part of the A-frame off just above the pedal-sprocket, bending the front part of the frame down to be 1" off of the front fender, chopping THAT to fit, and then doing a 3-point weld to the 1/4" motor mount.

Is anyone else around here crazy enough to have done a similar mod on a 24" Cranny?

Or am I just crazy on my own?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Attachments

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Howdy All!

I've got a 24" Boy's Cranbrook that I'm planning on strapping a GXH50 onto.

Yes, I know it won't fit, but I work in a fab shop and I'll be modifying the frame to make it fit.

I'm also serious about getting a EZ tranny to top it off...

I'm having trouble finding a kit that has the "balance" of the parts that seem to not be available due to the "Chinese Labor Shortage"...

Has anyone here attempted the same? I'd rather not "re-invent the wheel" if you know what I mean...

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
Got my EZMatic from Blow By U back in March. He's also got the whole shooting match you should be able to buy.

To find out if he's got the kits in stock...click on his link and leave him an email message. He'll get back to you.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
FYI...changed out the front forks from a Schwinn Jaguar to a Huffy Cranbrook. Not sure about any other models...but the fork tube diameter of the Schwinn is the same as on the Cranbrook. This means that I now have front brakes from the Jag on the Cranbrook. Even the forks look the same color either up close or a distance.

In case you are wondering...the tube measures 1" on both bikes. That means if I decide to get a springer fork or a MTB suspension fork to run disc brakes in the future...I will know the tube size.

Hope this helps.