upgrade for stock 415 chain?

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
The wider chain (41) can make up for a slight difference in the engine and rear sprocket not being in perfect alignment. Since it is wider, it will not have a tendency to derail from the sprocket not being in perfect alignment unlike the stock 415 chain that is narrower, it will derail much easier if the sprocket is not aligned. I had the same problem with my 415 chain, it literally shatered while riding at about 15mph. I have since changed to 41 chain from tractor supply and it runs much smoother now. Hope this info can help you out.

You took the words out of my mouth. I used the 415 and when I walks the bike beside me without the engine running the chain "popped" and made funny noises and when I put the #41 it is very smooth and the chain line looks perfect.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You just never know what topic is gonna bring up "the great debate" around here, do you?

I run #41 also, but my engine sprocket and jackshaft sprockets require it. I didn't want to grind down the sprockets so the kit chain would fit, so I have a lot of extra room with the chain and the wheel sprocket. I agree that it seems like a much better chain, but it is rather wide.

Jul 5, 2010
West Coast
The #41 chain are for a go kart sprocket which is rather thick I do believe. There is a difference in a 415 motorcycle chain and a #415 motorized bicycle chain, At least they differ on the billet clamshell setup like Pirate Cycles sells. Nice set up I think. Now I have not tried this new KMC 415H chain on that so I hope it a match. I'll try any thing other than the crappy stock chains that stretch like crazy!

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I also have made the switch from the 415 stock chain to 41. I'm running the sprockets that came with the Grubee 4G kit and it works just fine with them. 41 does seem to be smoother with no popping or other nastiness. So far, I like it alot.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey bro. aint been here in a while and it's really good to see some familiar avatars here...............!

First off Hello, to all who remember ole mapbike and also to all the noobs as well.....

Baird,

Just wanted to say that I been running the KMC415H chains and they are what I would call bullet proof, as I've said in the past I live out in the country and do most of my riding on very dusty, dirty, gritty roads that will eat junk chains for lunch in a heartbeat, I don't oil my chains ever......all the oil is only a dirt magnet and will trash my chains quicker, I use a Chain Lube made by DuPont that I buy at wally world, it's a Teflon Dry Chain Lube that penetrates lubes with the dry film and that way the dirt and dust wont stick to the chain and eat it up.

I saw in a couple previous post where the Dax 415 " Heavy Duty " chain was mentioned, I think the world of Duane and 99% of his products but from experience I can say that the Chain I got from him was of poorer quality than any of the chains I've got with my kits, rollers way to narrow and just loose sloppy and junky chain IMHO....!

Go with the KMC415H Baird and you will be happy, the #41 is a good chain but it's just too wide and not needed IMHO.... KMC415H does the job real nice, never had a minutes trouble with that chain, I just clean it and dry lube it and go......works great on all three of my bikes.

Peace, Map

dnut

on my little racer, i'm running the KMC 415 on the pedal side, and a 41 diamond chain off the engine. just for overkill purposes.

they're more or less identical in size, but the KMC looks beefier.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
i've got the kmc 510hx bmx drop buster chain. its a beefier version of the 415h. preety cool. I was trying to put this on my other bike wich is a newer kit and it seems that the drive sprocket has a different pitch... good thing i had some extra parts lying around. Is this normal to have sprockets with different pitches or widths so that a normal sized 415/510 chain would not fit?

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
i've got the kmc 510hx bmx drop buster chain. its a beefier version of the 415h. preety cool. I was trying to put this on my other bike wich is a newer kit and it seems that the drive sprocket has a different pitch... good thing i had some extra parts lying around. Is this normal to have sprockets with different pitches or widths so that a normal sized 415/510 chain would not fit?
A 415 chain is not the same pitch as a 510. The first number of the chain size dictates pitch or distance between rollers in eighths of an inch. So any chain with a number begining with 4 would have a pitch of 4/8's or 1/2". A chain begining with a 5 would have a pitch of 5/8" and be a larger chain than a chain begining with a 4. So a 415 is going to have the same pitch as a 41 or a 410 all three have a pitch of 1/2" or "4"/8's. Its not your sprockets that are the problem is that your 510 chain has a "5/8's pitch and will not fit the same sprocket that your 415 chain will. I hope this has been of some help.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
on the ht motors there is 2 sprockets you can put on the motor one is for a thicker as in wider chain
the gt5 comes with the skinny gear where the Rico aka boygofast come with the thicker sprocket

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Specs on the 510HX Chain do show to be 1/2'' X 1/8'' which indicates that the 510HX chain is very narrow.

Could it be that the width is the problem and not the pitch?

Sounds like your engine has the thicker drive sprocket designed for the 415 width chain, if 510HX is truely a 1/2'' pitch chain it should work just fine unless there is an issue with the width being to narrow.

Pull that side cover off and see if the 510HX chain will fit the sprocket.

Peace, map

.ride7a

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Yea. I realize that it is the width and probably not the pitch. I remember counting the same number of teeth and they had a about the same diameter. The sprocket that I got to work with the 510hx chain was from a grubee skyhawk gt5 kit which used a narrower chain. I want to buy some more of these thinner drive sprockets to use with the 510 chain but wondering if sellers will know what i'm talking about.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All the china girl engines I have use the wider 415 chain, but if you will cantact someone at Pirate cycle, Piston Bikes or Duane at Thatsdax, I'll bet that one of those guys can hook you up with the narrower Spockets you're wanting.

Myself I would just make mine from the wider ones, it would be very simple ifyou have a bench grinder and an electric drill.

I would just get myself a piece of 3/8'' all thread or a 3/8'' bolt could be used if the head was sawed off, and then with 2 washers and 2 nuts I'd make the bolt/all thread into an arbor that would allow me to spin the spocket with the arbor chucked up in the drill as I held it up against the grinding wheel on the bench grinder as it was also running, you could easily remove enough material from the sprocket to get it down to the needed width for the standard width bike chain, this would be an easy fix if you have the tools.

Map

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So the master link is what keeps breaking?
The retaining clip is directional. Are you installing it with the closed end facing the chain rotation (correct) or the open end facing the chain rotation (incorrect)?

If the open end is facing the chain rotation then anything that may rub or brush up against the chain has a good chance of un-clipping the retaining clip and the master link will fall apart on you.