How do you secure your bike?

GoldenMotor.com

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Just curious about how you secure your bike when you leave it with public access. Every where I go I look to see if there is something I could "cable and lock" my bike to should I decide to ride there.
I'm mainly talking about resturants, fast food, drugstore, retail stores, and grocery stores. With the exception of the grocery store with the "cart racks" in the parking lot I don't see many.
cvlt1

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
My local grocery store has a big steel rail across the front of it for some reason, so I usually chain the bike to that with a regulation bike lock. When I ride to the gas station for a pack of smokes, or to the auto parts store I just park in front of a window so that I can look out and see the bike at any time. It still makes me nervous though. I don't usually go anywhere else that I would have to leave my machine unattended.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i try to find a gas line outside of a building if i'm leaving it for any length of time where i can't see it. i use a kryptonite U-lock. you can't cut the lock, and nobody would be stupid enough to cut through a gas line.

if it's just at 7-11 or something, i've got a front drum brake with a locking brake lever, so i lock that and put the choke on and turn the gas off. i figure i could catch anyone trying to start it.

if i go to get a burrito or something where it'll be outside more than a few minutes, i lock the back wheel to the frame so you can't push it, if there's nothing else around.

i've also got a brooks leather saddle that's worth $100+, and if i'm going in a store for a half hour, i lock my U lock thru the seat springs to a post or something. i figure it'd be easier to steal the seat than the whole bike, so i make sure they can't.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you use a metal sign post, make sure it's secure. i was gonna lock mine up to one, and wiggled it around to see. it came out of the ground and fell over. it was a handicapped parking only sign, about 10' tall, mounted in blacktop asphalt.

i just left it there and rode away, locked my bike up somewhere else...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Whenever you lock your bike to a sigh or post make sure it is secure. Many bike thieves will work them loose and hang around and wait for someone to lock there bike then as soon as you are gone they will lift it out and away they go with your bike.

zpt