clutch adjustments

GoldenMotor.com

31ccchopper

Nov 7, 2009
ky
Okay well im a new user on here and when i peddle up to speed and let out the clutch the motor isnt turning over, i have the clutch flower nut adjusted as tight as i can get it and the bike still be adle to move freely with the clutch lever in. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do?? The clutch pads only have like 150 miles on them.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
First, the flower nut is not for adjusting clutch tension.
Why did you "adjust" the flower nut to begin with? Was the clutch slipping before?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I found the proper sequence is loosen the cable stop and if it still slips only then screw with that flower nut. Adjusting the stanchion collar did little. Also do not remove the spring between stanchion and clutch arm as has been suggested here. And don't hurt to sand/clean pads and make sure they "float" while you're in there.

Personally I don't think the pads wear fast even on my slant head with SBP pipe. Almost 2k miles now and they looked good when I checked last week. I don't pedal up to speed like I should either. Also my oldest bike has no compression but the clutch still ok after 14k. Very surprising considering what they are made of.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
maybe its not your clutch maybe you sheered a the key.test it by takin off the right cover where your clutch pads are and rolling the bike.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The flower nut is used to adjust the area or span of engagement, not tension.

If your clutch is slipping, tuen the flower nut back out to where you started, clean the pads as suggested above and finish them off with a shot of carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Then make sure your cable stop is just not too tight as xlite says. If it still slips, you will need to adjust the collar inside the case (easy, takes about 15 minutes).

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Wore out my pads in less then 100 miles easily. It helped to adjust the flower nut and all the other stuff for awhile, but wasn't long ordering new pads. There cheap like everything else.

31ccchopper

Nov 7, 2009
ky
The flower nut is used to adjust the area or span of engagement, not tension.

If your clutch is slipping, tuen the flower nut back out to where you started, clean the pads as suggested above and finish them off with a shot of carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Then make sure your cable stop is just not too tight as xlite says. If it still slips, you will need to adjust the collar inside the case (easy, takes about 15 minutes).

Wheres the collar located??

31ccchopper

Nov 7, 2009
ky
okay but where is the collar in the case i pulled the right side cover off, took off the flower nut and i was at the pads, is the collar the big nut?? I havent been abusive on the pads eathir, i still have about 2 cm left before they wear out