Best Kit w/ $150 Budget!

GoldenMotor.com

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
Hey guys,

I've always been interested in motorizing my bicycle. I live in the city, and sure, I can take the car, but the appeal of being able to ride with the wind in my hair makes it all the more interesting to me. I'm pretty knowledgeable in the sense that once I get a kit I should be able to install it without much of a hard time. I've been working on dirt bikes, cars, and motorcycles most of my life.

Of course, the first part is choosing the best kit. I've been looking on a whole bunch of websites, but I know everybody is going to try to sell me on their product, so I figured the best idea would be talking to the enthusiasts—that's where you come in!

So, my question—what is the best kit out there as far as power and reliability that will fit a TREK 3700 and is anywhere under $150.

Thanks again,
Vaughan

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
If your on a budget or just "cheap" like me try Boy Go Fast on Ebay. This will raise some hackles here but I've bought two Grubee kits and two BGF kits and am satisfied w/ BGF. Understand, however, BGF makes no claims for extensive warranty coverage. Heck, sounds like they're ALL 'Luck of the Draw' no matter where you get 'em. BGF kits come w/ U-clamp front mount and inline fuel filter with high grade fuel line. His PDF instruction manual is the one I wish i'd had on my first build! Shipping is VERY fast. Packaging first class. He answers his emails same day and is courteous and appreciative. I just ordered two more kits from him yesterday just in case there are US restrictions due in '10. Wherever you buy, I hope your experience is a pleasant one. These motorbikes are rewarding to build and FUN to ride. The forums are great. Everyone's helpful.dance1

Sep 4, 2009
Texas

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
Thank you so much guys!

So, figuratively I am screwed because as far as I can see nobody will ship to a California address. Does anybody know any sites that do ship to California?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
You won't get much better support of your kit than with Venice! He has some of the best advice on this web site! Never heard a complaint about his stuff here. Venice Motor Bikes is one of the few vendors besides Dax that frequent this place.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
and lets not forget, you dont have to wait more than 24 hours to get your kit and ride it. your lucky! it almot makes me want to leave work one morning and drive up to thunderbay to buy my CH80

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I would go with Vinice if I lived so close....Man that would be cool,but you can get a Raw motor online from were I got mine for 100 bucks or so,just make a offer....I bought 2 Raw motors from him for 100 dollors a peice.....
RAW 80CC BICYCLE ENGINE MOTOR KIT MOTORIZED BIKE - eBay (item 260494678212 end time Nov-18-09 13:05:38 PST)

I have bought from BGF as well and he ships fast,real fast and I have over 400 miles on the engine and its running great....So whatever you get you should be happy....BGF you can get a motor kit for around 109.00 dollors....

John-John.shft.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If I had Veniceboy down the road from me, I'd sure give him my business. Wherever you buy you hope to get what you pay for. Part of what you pay for with Vence bikes is that he is nearby, is helpful, speaks English, has parts on hand, is an awesome builder himself and knows these bikes and motors inside out. He'd be my pick if I lived anywhere nearby.
I also hear you on the money thing. I have to buy on line and bought my first kit from Dax with no complaints. I've also now bought four kits from BGF without problems and for me at least good customer support. For $150 you can get a 2 stroke pull start, slant head 80cc with an automatic transmission with shipping for $150.00. I have one on my 63 American with a few hundred miles on it now and I like that motor quite a lot. I'm going to pull it soon to put on a 39 Elgin currently in the works. It is sure nice to be able to come to a stop without putting in the clutch. If you live in the city with much stop and go traffic it is something to think about. But if I lived where you do, I'd still go with Veniceboy.
SB

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've lived in torrance. Nice Place. Did you know that "redondo" means round en espanol?

Gateway to the special Channel Islands!

I got a kit from Bike Berry- very fast, very happy
One from Boygofast, and several items now and then- great prices
I might go with Dax here too- He's got chrome tanks with his kits, and I love chrome!
And ll these advertisers on each side of the page here, God bless 'em.

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I'd have to agree with Dan,go with DAX!!!!!! they have top notch stuff,costumer service is awesome.I've bought lots of stuff from thatsdax. Their stuff cant be beat...

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
So, from what you guys are saying, Dax is a good option? Is this universally agreed? Do the Dax kits come with a printed installation instructions and is there a thread on this forums or on that site where I can see a little bit of a description and overview of each kit besides just a photo. That page is pretty terribly formatted, but I'm sure there is a bit more of information posted on these forums at least so I can get a bit of an idea on what I'm buying first.

Thanks,
Vaughan

ALSO, They ship to California, correct?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Speed. There are many fine dealers. I just know from personal experience, Dax is one of them. The printed directions I have got from Dax in the past were from the factory and really bad. I have to agree his web page is "busy" and hard to read but his directions pages are a lot cleaner. Page Title