Getting my toes wet

GoldenMotor.com

Acrylicartist

Nov 17, 2009
Illinois
With a certain amount of nervousness and trepidation, I am thinking about fulfilling a fantasy dating back to the dinosaur age. My older brother got all the neat toys and I was given 78 rpm records. He got a basket of Whizzer parts which he managed to cobble together and mount on his knee-action Schwinn minus the heavy duty rear spokes recommended. I got piano and trumpet lessons. He was a dare devil, riding his whizzer at full throttle with no brakes; I was a reliable citizen and reasonably good student. But that Whizzer thrilled me to think of sitting on the saddle and not having to pedal, enjoying the breeze and the unique sound emanating from the Whizzer tailpipe.

Now I'm toying with the idea of building a motorized bike, wondering if two stroke or four makes more sense to start with, thinking about using one of the cheap mountain bikes gathering dust in the garage. I'm about to dig into the posts that may yield helpful shortcuts and how to avoid pitfalls. Should be fun.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for answers to the many questions that might come up during your build. You'll get a lot of opinions regarding the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke question. The 2 stoke people like the looks of the in-frame mounting but the 4 stroke crowd are convinced that theirs are stronger and quieter. Keep reading and form your own opinions then make your purchase. The beauty of this hobby is that its not so expensive that you can't change your mind down the road and give each a try. Have fun and send us pictures of whatever you decide to build. Don't you wish you had your brother's Whizzer today?
Tom