So let me get this straight...

GoldenMotor.com

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
When I try to start my engine, it sounds like it wants to fire up, but that's only when i'm pedaling. Of course when i stop pedaling, it just stops. So.... this could be a number of problems right?
Faulty spark pulg?
Broken CDI or magneto?
Engine flooded?
Wrong oil/fule mix?
Leaky air filter?

Sorry, i've been looking around and there could be so many problems I see. But maybe if I provide some more info I could narrow down why my engine won't start?
BTW this is my first time trying to start this engine since last thurs for the first time.... Ya it's been a very sad and depressing week... hahaha

If a video would help I can post one on youtube and link you guys. Or pics too.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nerp,
You're just having a hard time of it, aren't you? Let's see if we can get you going.
An internal combustion engine needs three things to run, well, it needs more than three but the essentials are: Ignition (spark) Fuel and Air.
You need to confirm that you have those before we proceed into troubleshooting.

Spark: Remove the spark plug from the engine. Connect it to the plug wire and lay it against the cylinder head cooling fins. With the clutch engaged, push the bike forward and look at the tip, the electrodes of the plug and you should see a spark, albeit a small one, jumping between the tip and the little 'L' shaped thing bending over it. The plug must be securely grounded against the engine to do this test. If all your wiring is correct and the CDI and magneto are performing, the plug will spark. If not check your wiring connections against the diagram below and get back to us if you still have no spark.
Fuel: The fuel tank petcock (valve) must be on or open. Confirm this by disconnecting the fuel line at the carburetor and checking to see if fuel is flowing from the tank. If so, you're good, if not the fuel petcock filter might be clogged or the petcock is not open. Confirm you have fuel flow.
Air: The little lever on the right side of the carburetor is the choke. Cold starts often require either a fully closed choke or just a little open. The choke is wide open with the lever pushed down as far as it will go. That is the position it needs to be in after the engine is running.
If the throttle cable is hooked up correctly and with the air cleaner off, you should be able to look into the 'throat' of the carburetor and see a dark colored cylinder move up and down when you twist the throttle. That is the 'slide' or barrel that operates the needle valve which allows fuel to enter and mix with the airstream being drawn into the carb.
Do these simple tests to confirm you have all the necessary ingredients for combustion and get back to us with the results.
Tom

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Heres a little check list...
#1... Is the spark plug wet? If 'yes', then you have gas.
#2... Make sure you have spark! Take out the plug, put it back into the boot, touch the plug threads to the engine head & spin the rear wheel... do you see the plug sparking?
#3... Is the choke lever DOWN?
#4... Did you mix your gas @ 24:1?

Wow Tom... you're fast!!!

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
ok SO
I engaged the clutch and pushed the bike forward and to my knowledge I saw no spark. I laid the spark plug against the engine to "ground" it. I looked very closely too and I saw no spark. How big is this spark supposed to be? Well anyways I looked pretty darn close and no spark..
Also, how can i check if i have proper fuel flow without spilling fuel all over the ground and me? :) Pinch the tube or something?
And I know my throttle cable is all good to go. I saw it working before I put my carb on.
How far should that idle screw be screwed out of the carb btw?
So now what 2door :D!

And yes, I'm having a hard time.. :( BUT I"M GOING TO STICK WITH IT!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nerp,
Did you check your wiring with the diagram?
The idle screw only adjusts the idle speed. It plays no part in the engine running. Adjust it inward to increase idle speed; outward to slow it.
Some engines like a little prime on a cold start. The button next to the idle screw actually sinks the float inside the carburetor and allows a little extra fuel to flow for easier starting. Oddly, all engines don't need it but atmospheric conditions vary and priming does help in some situations. Depress it for a couple of seconds then go pedal.
Tom

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Ok well my fuel is flowing through. It doesn't come like gushing out but it flows out consistently lol.
So... now what :(
Would this have to do with that idle screw thing?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Put the choke up about 1/2 way...
Get on the bike & pedal as fast as you can & pop the clutch & KEEP PEDALING while turning the throttle back & forth..
Remember... pedal hard!!
Go try it.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Alright I'll try pedaling hard :p I hope my chain doesn't like snap off HAHA.
So twist the throttle a few times after i pop the clutch??!?

EDIT: Oh and i forgot to say. When i did my fuel, i did a 16:1 just like the horrible instructions said... Do you think i should get a new mix before i try and start this? Or should I just use the little bit i put into my gas tank and try it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I typically go a little lighter on the oil but 16:1 isn't bad. If it is fresh fuel. Mixed fuel has a short shelf life unless it has a stabilizer in it. A couple of weeks or so is the suggested life. The engine will run but not as good as on a fresh batch.
Prime, partial choke, pedal and give the throttle a little twist. When, the engine starts let it warm a few seconds then open the choke, lever down, ride for a while to get the engine up to operating temperature and enjoy.
Tom

Last edited:

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
No luck guys... I must have tried 5 different times with the first being the slowest and the 5th time was me almost going all out pedaling :p
The engine sound when i pop the clutch was a higher rpm of course the faster I was pedaling... I even twisted the throttle a few times and still nothing...
I'm so frustrated and sad :( :( :(

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
So.. I've been thinking.. Since i have fuel flow AND i have a spark... it's gotta be something with my carb right? Like maybe there's no fuel flow into the engine? idk... :(