Honda gxh50 W/cvt and gearing thru bike gears

GoldenMotor.com

dirbob

Aug 11, 2009
Santa Rosa, Ca
Here are picts of my build. Honda Gxh50 mated to a cvt then run through gears of mongoose mountain bike. This gives me 21 gears plus the cvt. Don't know what the gear ratio is but it will cruise all day at 25 to 30 mph and will climb the steepest mountain road at about 11 mph. I never use more than 3 or four gears except for shifting the front deraileur when going in the mountains. Am able to shift front and rear gears under power but generally back off the throttle when doing that . An ongoing project am working on brakes to bolster them for the hills (Disc and calipers on the same wheel).

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Very clever execution! Well done. It has a complicated look to it and yet if you analyse it, it is elegantly simple in operation. I have to ask though, are the rear most engine stays supposed to be floating in the air above the rear axle like that?

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Very clever execution! Well done. It has a complicated look to it and yet if you analyse it, it is elegantly simple in operation. I have to ask though, are the rear most engine stays supposed to be floating in the air above the rear axle like that?
If you look really closely at the 1st photo you will see that he is using a rack/fender braze-on to attach the stay to the rear dropout.

ocscully

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dirbob, My Cvt Trannys Get Hot. I Need One Of Those Infrared Guns, Would Be Handy To Get Real Temps. Have Been Thinking Of Something Simular To Your Build. You Are The First One To Do Such A Thing As Far As I Know. Coool. Ron

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
Wow!! I'm impressed.
I have a question. I noticed you bypassed the governor on your honda. I just installed a honda 50 on my bike and am wanting to do the same. Any advise?

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Very Clever and detailed build. That has more gear ratios than a Mercedes. That would be a great build for areas with hills. Great engineering.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Questions:

- looking at that CVT, it appears to rotate the opposite direction from the crank. Is that correct?

- Do you know the low and high reduction of the cvt itself alone?

Thanks.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
dirbob, that is great! Did you purchase a shift kit from sbp or just the parts you needed. I would have thought you would get a little better top end than 30mph or so. I was so focused on changing the rotation direction of my cvt that I never considered anything like that. Good Job!

dirbob

Aug 11, 2009
Santa Rosa, Ca
did the cvt and the engine line up?
Hi John: I had to make an adapter to make the CVT work. The bolt pattern is off on honda and the cvt. That is why it is canted at a 45. Thats the only way the 2 bolt patterns would work. There are a lot of issues with matching honda to cvt. I don't think I would use a Honda again, when you can use the chinese 4 cycle version and have a direct bolt pattern match. Used honda for the reliability but don't know if it was worth the extra headaches. The chinese version should make a cleaner adaptation. Am working on a front mount chinese version with cvt and attempting to use the bottom crank as a jack shaft. if it works will post picts. bob.

dirbob

Aug 11, 2009
Santa Rosa, Ca
Hi civilized: I bought the whole jackshaft kit from SBP, then used what I needed to adapt it to the 4 cycle engine.(theirs is made for 2 cycle). I think you will find that you would have to pay more for the individual parts than for their kit even if you don't use it all. As for only 30 mph, it will go faster than that, only not with me on it! For a $100 Wal mart special thats fast enough. I only use about four gears on the shifter. That leaves me some 17 or so gears. The purpose of the gears is to give the option of hills or straight aways both. Enjoy your hobby. bob

DARK-RIDER-82

Mar 24, 2009
Romania
Here are picts of my build. Honda Gxh50 mated to a cvt then run through gears of mongoose mountain bike. This gives me 21 gears plus the cvt. Don't know what the gear ratio is but it will cruise all day at 25 to 30 mph and will climb the steepest mountain road at about 11 mph. I never use more than 3 or four gears except for shifting the front deraileur when going in the mountains. Am able to shift front and rear gears under power but generally back off the throttle when doing that . An ongoing project am working on brakes to bolster them for the hills (Disc and calipers on the same wheel).
Hello there! My opinion?
Your build is nice looking but there are MILES of chain that are going to get dirty and inefficient with time and miles, and that sucks...
Having to clean all those chains is a pain in the etc...
And last : you should have done it foldable :)
Gabriel !

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Could you tell how you built up the crank for the free wheel setup?looks like it is pretty thick