Rear Hub Overheats

GoldenMotor.com

DaveT.

Jul 14, 2009
Sacramento
I just finished my first kit. The RAWMOTORS USA on a Schwinn SSX Cruiser. I had to dissasemble the rear coaster break and installed new bearings, applied lots of grease. After just a mile or two, the rear hub feels very hot to the touch.
So I took it back apart and googled step by step instructions assembling the whole bearing and coaster brake assembly.
I left the chains off ad spun it on the bike, it feels fine. Took it for a ride, still gets hot. Maybe it will get cooler as the brake clearance gets greater from wear?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave,
Your theory is good but you should also know that you can over-grease a bearing. Too much grease with no room for expansion can cause bearing heating and premature failure. When you spin the wheel with the chain off does it spin freely or just easy to turn? The brake shoes should not be dragging enough to slow the wheel when spun with no chain. Even a new wheel will spin and coast down. Check your reassembly and the amount of grease. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I too have a coaster brake. The main thing that I do not like about it is that I have to pedal a half turn every once in awhile to make sure I'm not riding the brake. When I start to relax as I ride I sometimes load the brake a little. That can cause heat to build up for the partially applied coaster brake. It may not be causing your problem. But be aware of it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I too have a coaster brake. The main thing that I do not like about it is that I have to pedal a half turn every once in awhile to make sure I'm not riding the brake. When I start to relax as I ride I sometimes load the brake a little. That can cause heat to build up for the partially applied coaster brake. It may not be causing your problem. But be aware of it.

Good point to consider.