49cc vs 66/80cc Which is a better buy

GoldenMotor.com

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/gas-engine-kits/48cc-flying-horse-silver-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/gas-engine-kits/66-80cc-flying-horse-silver-angle-fire-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

Why does the 49cc have more horsepower? Would any of you disagree with the descriptions provided by bikeberry below?

49cc
3-4 HP (horse power)
20 to 30 mph depending on the gear ratio and weight
Hobby motorists, 15 mile trips (round trip)

66/80cc
2.75 HP (horse power)
25 to 40 mph depending on the gear ratio and weight
Light commuters, trips to work and the store with up to 25 lbs of weight

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
living in a hilly area, I've seen less than five 49cc motors in the 8 years I've been repairing them - steep hills take a 66

I've always figured about 1.5 horse for any of them, but you'd have to check with the racing guys here that have a dyno for these.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I think they have it backwards or they are using the manufacturer's info provided, the 48 does not have more HP than the 66. I prefer to ride the 48 over the 66 because it is much smoother with little to no vibration. There's a old racing term, " The only way to beat cubic inches is with more cubic inches". Since the 66 is over 1/4 larger a 48 would have to be heavily modified to out HP it.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Guys, thanks for your responses. I feel better now. I bought the 66/80cc and I live in a hilly area so it sounds like I got the right one. I'm going to need to address the vibration issue it sounds like tho. I've heard a few suggestions on this site that I'll try out.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
ride it a while before 'addressing issues' - a bike accepted for what it is lasts much longer than one that gets 'fixed'

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
My next build will be a 49cc, not because I don't love the 66/80cc, I do love the 66/80cc, but because the 49cc can be registered as a moped...or wait never mind...I'm still thinking about it.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I think they have it backwards or they are using the manufacturer's info provided, the 48 does not have more HP than the 66. I prefer to ride the 48 over the 66 because it is much smoother with little to no vibration. There's a old racing term, " The only way to beat cubic inches is with more cubic inches". Since the 66 is over 1/4 larger a 48 would have to be heavily modified to out HP it.
And the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement"

Solmangrundy

Apr 15, 2014
Northeast Texas
Guys, thanks for your responses. I feel better now. I bought the 66/80cc and I live in a hilly area so it sounds like I got the right one. I'm going to need to address the vibration issue it sounds like tho. I've heard a few suggestions on this site that I'll try out.
a reed valve and expansion chamber significantly reduced my engine vibration and stopped its "four-stroking" at high rpms. it use to kick, rattle, and scream when id blow down hills with the stock intake/exhaust now it just screams and has a significant torque increase.

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Kind of curious, but does a new engine straight out of the box sounds different... then one already broken with a few hundred miles on it ??

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
My next build will be a 49cc, not because I don't love the 66/80cc, I do love the 66/80cc, but because the 49cc can be registered as a moped...or wait never mind...I'm still thinking about it.
So if the 49cc can be registered as a moped....then what is a 66/80cc supposed to be registered for ??

_

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Well, It's not a moped, and it's not a motorcycle since that needs to be over 150 in most states, so it's a motor assisted vehicle.
Also, there are no marks on the engine. How do they have any way of finding out what displacement it is?

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Well, It's not a moped, and it's not a motorcycle since that needs to be over 150 in most states, so it's a motor assisted vehicle.
Also, there are no marks on the engine. How do they have any way of finding out what displacement it is?
They don't, which is why I would choose the 66 over the 49 regardless of the local laws.

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
They don't, which is why I would choose the 66 over the 49 regardless of the local laws.
Exactly. The other thing, is that if you register it as a 66/80cc...then you're required to get insurance for it. Next thing you'll know, states will wanna tag toddler trikes of all things.

Veanermann

Apr 25, 2018
I'm sticking with the gray area of not a moped and not a motorcycle..power assist.and the only serial number is the bikes.i think unless your like inner city that cops have better **** to do and it's a viable point..power assist..you have to get it rolling to engage the clutch.if your following bike rules and be using common sense all should be well

Veanermann

Apr 25, 2018
So anyone have a good hack for the stock "improved" n.t.carb air filter ? Like a good material to cut one out of? Or am I just better off getting a clamp on 60mm universal.i pulled a nylon stocking over the plastic scren on the air filter side and trimmed the excess leaving the original filter behind it cut off the tubes widened the holes and added a deflector.any thoughts on this? also replaced all my bolts Blackhawk engine from gasbike.net

Attachments

Mark Kinsler

Mar 29, 2018
I had an e-mail discussion with the Ohio Department of Motor Vehicles about this. If it's over 49cc's it is considered a motorcycle and must have a title, which requires that the noble machine be issued a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and further paperwork. Where you'd mount a VIN on a motorized bike is left as an exercise for the student. But with the 49cc kit I was able to register the thing as a moped. The lady at the license bureau and I decided that we could call it a 1956 Schwinn moped, since that's the year and brand of the bicycle. She issued me a nice Ohio license plate and the appropriate county tax sticker.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I've been riding my bikes for 7 years now and have never had a problem with police, I obey all traffic laws and always wear a helmet. I run flashing lights front and rear and sometimes a safety vest, if you look like you have nothing to hide they leave you alone.