newbie 1st build: kill switch doesnt kill

GoldenMotor.com

beachbum808

Feb 9, 2014
Haiku Maui Hawaii
zpt
Aloha i put a 49cc Power king on my huffy beach cruiser. Runs well im still breakin it in. I tested the kill switch with my meter. It works fine, I have one of its wires grounded and the other ran to the wire coming from the motor ( as instructed ) push the button and she purrs right along. I know I can pop the clutch to stop it but it just seem kinda hard on it. Tried to loop the black wire from pack to motor through the killswitch using it as a deadman switch (push to run, let go to stop) but motor wouldnt run.Wire gauge was smaller in the loop than the black wire is though. What can I do to fix this. Could the wire from the motor just be faulty. I dont have a wiring diagram, so not really sure what the two small wire do any how.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rewire it. The two wires from the kill switch should be spliced into the blue and black wires from the magneto/CDI. The black wire is a ground. If you had the kill switch wired as you say, one wire to ground and the other to the black from the engine it wouldn't do anything when you pressed the button.
Don't use the white wire, if your engine has one, for anything. Insulate it so it can't touch any metal part.

The kill switch is a 'normally open, momentary switch'. The wire colors are not important. Pretend they are the same color and wire as suggested above. Also we always suggest to get rid of the kit supplied push-on connectors at the blue and black wires. They are notorious for bad connections. Those connections/splices need to be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing.

And, welcome to the forum.

Tom

Last edited:

beachbum808

Feb 9, 2014
Haiku Maui Hawaii
Thanks 2door/tom<3
I took the bike apart today to reposition the motor. Tomorrow im going to shim out the rear sprocket to keep it off the tire and build a better tensioner. Ive planed on butt crimping all connections then silicone and shrink tube.Cant mess around here the salt air eats stuff up quick. Im at the beach alot, and plan on taking the bike more often. Ive got a '74 Ford E300 custom 4x4 van. Big ole 8 drinks heavy. Bike will save gas and it just good old fun. But like I said the salt bad. The bike will be easier to hose and wipe down dailey. Mahalo for the help and for the welcome.

Aloha

Scott