Electrical problem! Help!!

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
I was just riding down the road when all of a sudden I stopped getting power and the engine completely died. It has good compression, and it feels as if I'm getting no spark.

I tried replacing the spark plug, I disconnected my kill switch, so there are two things that are ruled out.

Its weird, I was trying to start it and when I would go REALLY slow almost to the point where the back wheel would lock up, I would hear exactly one explosive stroke. So I'm getting a spark like once every few thousand rpms.

I also opened up the magneto case, and when I was unscrewing one of the screws all this water started to leak out!

Thats what I get for riding this thing in wet conditions I suppose.

I used some compressed air to dry out the magneto section of the engine, but now there is no spark whatsoever when trying to start it.

SO... There are two possible problems with the engine, either the CDI is crapped out, or more likely, my magneto has shorted.

Anyone have any advice? How do I check if I have a short, and how hard is it to replace the electrical on my bike if I order the parts?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The magneto is not hard to replace, four bolt or screws hold it in. Be sure to clean the black/ground wire connector for a good connection. Once you get it running again seal the cover with gasket sealer or rtv, don't forget the wire feed through either.