Dumb question... But need help!!

GoldenMotor.com

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Ok so my spark plug boot fell apart. The little clip that holds onto the plug split in half and the brass fitting inside came out and I lost the spring behind it. How do I change the boot and where do I get another ?? I'm assuming it just twists off the spark plug wire... Where do I get the replacement though ?

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
u can get a replacement pretty much any place online.
or if u or a freind has an old set of auto plug wires sitting around, take one. cut it down and replace into the CDI unit.

works like a charm, and 100 times better than the stock one :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to any auto parts store and ask for a spark plug boot. Make sure you get the metal contact that goes inside it.

I've said this so many times, I can't count. The kit supplied plug boot is the weakest link in the kit. It's the first thing I throw away when I open the box. It's too heavy, it doesn't allow for good electrical contact with the plug and, they fall apart. Throw what's left of yours in the trash and go get a real plug boot.
Do not order a replacement because you'll be right back to square one with a boot like the one that came with your engine.

The kit boot requires that you remove the cap at the top of the plug and it relies on the threaded portion under that cap for contact. That's just plain stupid. An automotive quality plug boot will let you use the plug, cap still installed and will give you much more contact area for the high voltage current of the ignition system.

All newer kits come with the plug wire superglued into the CDI. You'll have to dig around the wire to get it out but be careful and do not damage the threaded contact that screws into the core (conductor) of the wire.

They're always too short, but the kit wire is better than what you'll find at most auto parts stores because it is a copper, or at least a metallic core wire as opposed to resistance wire that most auto parts stores sell today.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do the automotive boots also just screw on ?
No. Typically they crimp onto the plug wire. Some have a pointed tang that will pierce the insulation into the core (conductor). Others rely on the core being exposed then folded back along the wire to make contact with the metal part.

Personally I use copper core wire and solder the wire to the metal contact then install the rubber or silicone boot.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most motorcycle shops will have a nice NGK that will look just like the one from the kit - try to get zero resistor type or least resistance they have available - wouldn't hurt to bring your broken one to show them

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
The skyhawk kit instructions dont even mention this issue in their booklet. Its so retarded to have to remove the cap on the top of the plug to seat it. Im going today to get the better plugs and cap. I am so grateful for a forum like this.