Clairmont project

GoldenMotor.com

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Just picked up a Schwinn Clairmont from Walmart, and it's painfully obvious she needs an engine!

VA state law requires it to be under 50cc. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 49cc from BoyGoFast on eBay when I figured I should be damned sure about what to get...

BikeBerry doesn't seem to have any 49's in stock, and from browsing the forum I got the sense I should avoid Kings.
Trying to keep my costs under $175, including shipping.
Any suggestions?

And while I'm here, for anyone who's modded a Clairmont, how did you move the shifting mechanism on the handlebar to make room for the throttle?

Thanks, all. Love the forum. Can't WAIT to get this project rolling. I'm eager to make this my regular commuter.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Pavs, go to the "introduce yourself" section and "introduce yourself"

People will answer your questions a lot more when your post doesn't say Posts:1. That means you just joined and started asking questions, not going and introducing yourself.

Also, use the search option in the forum. Type the work "Clairmont" in the search box. I'm sure many many threads will show up.

Chears

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
gear shifter can be moved to the other side of the bars
Thanks, I was hoping that was an option. Though I'm concerned as to how, since I can't see any means by which it's tightened to the bar.

I assume it requires an alternative means of disassembly. Not going to lie, I'm quite afraid breaking it if I screw around...

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
I'll be danged, there it is.

As it stands, I'm planning to pick up a basic 49cc kit and one of those dual-line break levers. Does anyone know any downsides to these levers?

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I run em on my moondog and love em. No problems at all and really stops great. Youll be glad you did it. Over 450 miles on it

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Well, it's coming along slow and steady! I'll have to get some pictures to post up, tomorrow.

All that's left is to shorten the chain, mount the throttle and cable, wire it all up, and pop on the exhaust. After that, it's time to gas her up and pray she runs...

I'm thinking I should add a bit more grease to the clutch, hopefully smooth out that sprocket when it's disconnected.

The only real problem I foresee is trying to realign the rear break pads. I don't think I had those right to begin with. I can't get them to back away from the wheel, no matter how much I adjust the damn things...

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
She's all done! Tomorrow is the test drive, and we'll see what kind of tuning she needs from there. Assuming she works at all, that is.

Here she is, a Walmart Special in all her glory! Thanks to those who've guided me on my build! Hopefully there will be another, better one, in the near future!