HF 212cc vs Dupor 196cc??

GoldenMotor.com

Smiling Brick

Jun 20, 2011
Weed, CA
The Harbor Freight 212cc and the Dupor 196cc (from AGK and others) seem to have similar prices and specs, are there any quality differences? Would one be better for a MB than the other? I searched, but no-one seems to have posted much of anything about the Dupor

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
You found AGK's website now just give him a call and im sure he will give you the answers your looking for. I spoke and emailed him countless times and Shane is a real nice guy.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I suggest the Hf. It has a warranty, a throttle assembly with governor (I am using the gov on my bike- just loosen the pivot bolt and attach the throttle cable to the provided position). Also comes with the gas tank (I mounted it elsewhere) and the exhaust and aircleaner (did not use either stock one). I did tweak the adjustment on the gov for a bit more rpm.
I actually bought the Dupor engine, thinking it would vibrate less than the HF- it did not.
Warning- these engines vibrate like crazy at anything above fast idle. I think they vibrate 3 times the level of the smaller 4 stroke from HF. To fix the vibe issue, I used "Isolators" placed under the engine and restraints above to keep the engine from cocking under load. Huge difference, now I can ride without arms and butt becoming itchy from vibes.
The power level on these big motors is wonderful and surprisingly fuel efficient because they are loafing most of the time. But if you really don't need the power, the little ones fit better and the vibration level is very easy to live with- a non-issue.

Oh, the Dupor is very popular with the go kart people- it IS a go-kart engine.
Both it and the Hf are in the 9+ hp range when run re-jetted with free flow exhaust and intake.
There was a direct dyno comparison between them on the 4-stroke go-kart site.

Hf dileberately phased out the Hf 196 because the go-kart guys blew them up or wore them out and turned them in to the store for new ones. The replacement Predator is over the rule limit for karts and makes a tad more tq and a tiny bit more hp.

Last edited:

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
The Dupor engine and the 212cc Predator both make good candidates for an MB. I would probably recommend the Predator because HF let's them go at great prices when they're on sale and you have a coupon to boot. If you can pick it up and avoid shipping cost that's an extra bonus too.

For someone considering heavy modifications I would recommend the Dupor simply because all the Honda parts are interchangeable. The Predator uses a handful of different parts. Some aftermarket parts are available for the Predator but to fully modify the Predator requires some machining and extra work until direct bolt on parts are available.

Heavy modification probably doesn't apply here as a stock Dupor or Predator has plenty of power for an MB.