HF 79 idle issues

GoldenMotor.com

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Curious if anyone had this issue, and what the fix was....

Engine will only start and idle at 90% choke or so... anything more or less choke will kill her instantly

Fresh gas in her, emptied the bowl, spark plug looks good...

Any ideas?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
One of the tiny passages in the carb might be blocked. Take the carb apart & blow all the holes out with an air hose. This sounds like what happened to me last summer & that's how I fixed it.
Jay

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Took the carb off and dismantled it and cleaned it with carb cleaner spray and air as well... clean out the jet extremely well

Cut out a new gasket for the intake to rule out an air leak also

Pulled the plug which was a little black and threw in a new plug gapped at .027"

Emptied gas tank and refilled with new gas

AND.....

I can get her to idle with the choke off at a high idle only.... if I try and adjust her down to idle she dies right out

I pulled the whole exhaust off and ran it that way to see if I had a clogged exhaust.... but to no avail... trying to lower the idle to normal kills her

When high idling with choke off or half on ( warmed up already ) and goosing it, she hesitates to a stall or bogs down before revving up

Any ideas???

Maybe compression leak or bad head gasket???

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
After you try the things Quenton suggested and it is still not idling properly, it may just be a bung carb.....I've seen it before with these symptoms. Good luck, you'll eventually find the cause.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like you still got a prob with the low speed jet system or miss adjusted idle mix needle.

You said you cleaned the "jet" . Prolly main Jet. It's orfice is huge compared to the idle jet. The idle jet is tiny and clogs so easy.

The carb has 2 circuits, Hi speed and low speed. Usually, the low speed circuit is the hardest one to get sufficently clean by us tinkers :~)