stupid newbi question. Why do 4 strokes need gearbox and not 2 strokes?

GoldenMotor.com

dirtrider5001

Oct 18, 2011
ohio
is this simply because these engines arent tuned to run at 1000 rpm. I read something about the 4 stroke running at like 2k. So is that the reason for the reduction box. Dont tell me that theres no small 4 stroke that can idle at like 1200k. Couldnt that be cured with like a tighter springed clutch or engine modding. I dont know im an idiot someone school me please....xx.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yup, what Happyvalley said. The 2-stroke chinas have a 4.1:1 reduction built-in.
With a 44T rear sprocket, the overall ratio is ~18:1 with 26.2" wheel. 26MPH @ 6000RPM

As for idle speed, it depends alot on the design of the engine - mainly the reciprocating mass of the internals - and the rest is tuning.
Heavier engines tend to idle @ lower rpm because their mass enhances torque. Our smaller engines need to spin faster to compensate.

My HS 49cc's lowest idle is 1800RPM..and sometimes it will stall. It will run 2K rpm all day tho, and that's it's rec idle speed in manual.
These small engines make very little torque at low RPMs. They need to spin up to at least 4K rpm to do real work.

dirtrider5001

Oct 18, 2011
ohio
Thanks now one more question. What is better the grubee 4g transmission or the ezm qmatic transmission. Is one better than the other or are they just for different applications. I plan to use the honda gxh engine.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, I've ridden 100's of miles on both and I think the Q-matic is better for overall transportation. It's made for cruising all day long.

The 4G requires more work and maintenance, but it can outaccelerate a Q-matic. With a shifter kit, it's really quick off the line!

motivation

May 7, 2011
Canada
is this simply because these engines arent tuned to run at 1000 rpm. I read something about the 4 stroke running at like 2k. So is that the reason for the reduction box. Dont tell me that theres no small 4 stroke that can idle at like 1200k. Couldnt that be cured with like a tighter springed clutch or engine modding. I dont know im an idiot someone school me please....xx.
are the bike kits at bikemotorparts.com anygood? Do you know of any quality kits I can mount a honda gx35 or a gxh50 on....I was also interested in a kit that had different speeds through the bike shifter or any other means....thanks