Kickstand question

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can someone tell me what sort of kickstand would fit up ok to the worksman inb frame?
Probably prefer a side stand but if centre would work that'd be ok.
Just dunno what sort to look for.
The one I'm using on my Worksman frame is a center stand made of cast aluminum which I purchased from bikeworldusa. The same stand is commonly available from other sources,too. I like the center support and have used the same stand on a number of bikes. The one I have on my Indian Hiawatha build is my favorite. It started out as one described above and was installed on a bike that burned in a truck fire a couple of years ago. One leg was almost completely melted off. When I started the Indian build I didn't have a stand for it and decided to cobble a peg leg for the damaged one and replace it later. I made the artificial leg out of copper water pipe and liked it so much I cut the other leg short and made a matching leg for that side, too. Now it is part of the build and look of the bike. By making my own copper legs I can make them whatever length I want. Has a nice old time hand made look, I think.
SB

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
That's very inventive SB !
Hey, as a newb to the world of MB's, I dont even know how these things attach to the bike. Im assuming some sort of sandwich clamp arrangement. A side stand is my preference.
I was editing & posting a link to one, that Im asking about, at the exact same time that you were posting.
I just need someone to take a look at the link & tell me if they think that stand will work ok on the worksman inb frame :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, a center stand attaches to the frame in the same way as most side kick stands, with a dished plate above the framework right behind the seat post and behind where the rear fender bolts to the frame. I don't know the name of that spot, but you know where I'm referring to. The dished plate has a hole in it for a bolt which sandwiches the frame members to each side and bolts on through to the stand, either a side kick stand or a center stand. The reason I like the center stand is that my bikes tend to get heavy above with engine and gas tank, controls, etc. and there is a greater tendency for the bike to tip over, especially with just one point of contact with the ground. If the ground is soft, that is bad news for either kind of stand, so the larger the points of contact, the better. Rear drop stands which attach near the axle on vintage bikes have a nice retro look to them, but are kind of a pain to keep clipped up while riding... probably why they were replaced with the handy and quick "kick stand" coming off to one side. When I was a boy it was uncool the use the stand at all... you got off the bike at a run and just dumped it on the ground. Girls used the kick stand. Manly type boys dumped it. Ha! Maybe that's one reason vintage boys bikes are so often beat up beyond recognition and girl's bike fifty years old look faded, but otherwise ready to ride.
SB

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
When I was a boy it was uncool the use the stand at all... you got off the bike at a run and just dumped it on the ground. Girls used the kick stand. Manly type boys dumped it. Ha!
SB
That's funny you say that, it was the same when I was a boy, we just dumped them a lot too, or just leaned them against a wall or fence.
Hey so the sidestand in the ebay link I posted earlier will work ok?
Also, here's a centre stand from the same seller, would this work ok too?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-ALLOY-DOUBLE-KICKSTAND-26-CRUISER-/390271944693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade0547f5

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My brother and I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Traditional-Bike-Bicycle-Kickstand/dp/B000M38CEG/

It's not rated very highly on there because of it's weight and limited application. It doesn't work out of the box on bikes with external derailleurs, and it will likely require modification to work at all. My brother had to modify it so it bolted on flush to his dropouts, as did I. I ended up cutting part of the mount off and got it welded to the buttom of dropout.

It works very well, but it's not made to support a rider's weight.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
My brother and I use these: Amazon.com: Axle Kickstand 26" Wheel Bicycle Bike Black: Sports & Outdoors

It's not rated very highly on there because of it's weight and limited application. It doesn't work out of the box on bikes with external derailleurs, and it will likely require modification to work at all. My brother had to modify it so it bolted on flush to his dropouts, as did I. I ended up cutting part of the mount off and got it welded to the buttom of dropout.

It works very well, but it's not made to support a rider's weight.
Thanks Aleman, I see that's an axle mounted one. Really after a side stand.
Anyone actually able to answer my original question? :)
Just really wanna know if this one will fit up to a worksman inb frame?
Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-ALLOY-KICKSTAND-GREENFIELD-W-PLATE-CENTER-MOUNT-/150484177764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23098e5364

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The center double kickstand is like the one mine started out to be and will work fine. I can't say for sure regarding the side kickstand, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would just be a matter of length and you could no doubt change that with a little ingenuity. Ask the seller how long the leg is and then do a little measuring, maybe. Can't you find a donor from another bike?
SB