For those with custom tanks...

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm in the middle of designing and figuring out my custom tank. I'm trying to figure out what to do for filler neck and cap. What are some ways you guys have solved this? One option is to buy another kit tank to cut the stock filler neck.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I bought my bung and cap(steel) from speedway, online. It was very reasonable and in two years have not had any problems. I also used KREEM to seal the tank and also no problems.

Attachments

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I got mine at Speedway also. No problems either. Does your bike frame actually set that way? The petcock will work there if it does set like that. If it sets like a normal bike you have the petcock in the wrong end. Just curious.

Terry

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
You are going to want to put the filler and petcock on the same side of the tank so you can fit it through the frame. That was a time consuming mistake I made.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I found some pipe, tapped a thread on it. And bought a brass endcap from a plumbing suppliers. Total cost around $5. IMO the endcap looks very vintage and as good, if not better then some of the caps ive seen for ten times that amount.....

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Harry, how did you vent your cap? Guess a small hole in the top would do it.

Love the look and it's a smaller diameter, which is good for my design.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I used to use a 3/4" copper plumbing threaded male end soldered into the tank along with a brass hose cap. Now I prefer using a brass hose coupler, grind down the threads on the lower portion, solder it into the tank and use the brass hose cap. Drill a small hole in the cap for venting the tank and you're good to go for around eight bucks. I like brass. Looks good.
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You could make the tank out of aluminum and use the butt end of a maglite. maglite has an endcap with an o ring seal.
The rubber o-ring might give a bit of trouble. That rubber isn't fuel resistant. But they might make some someplace that are. Or maybe a fuel-proof gasket the same size.

Pappa-g

May 3, 2011
Michigan
I am assuming you are making a metal tank but just in case you are building a fiberglass tank you will want to use a sealer other than Kreem. It is MEK based and will more often than not destroy a glass tank. There is a product made by Caswell which cost a little more than the Kreem but leaves a thicker coating and is safe for fiberglass. Best of luck with your build!!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca

1" 7/8" Nut and Bolt with O-ring from Hardware store. They are gas resistant. Had it over a year and it is as good as new. I drilled a hole down the center and soldered in a coiled copper line for a breather. Works great.