Hf 212 powered Huffy Puch

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Kind of a frankenstien hot rod bike- big engine, moped front end and wheels stretched frame with full suspension grafted on the rear.

The 212 Predator needed to be isolated on rubber to kill the vibes.
Still use the governor. Rejeted, one inch exhaust with 2 mufflers. Have to make an air filter. Lots of power. A torque monster.

Initially I tried to use a derailer on the power side - it did work using 3 speeds but made a lot of little noises and snapping sounds so I gave up- straight chained it in what used to be 3rd gear - about 6.8 to one ratio.
The engine easily pulls this with a little clutch work and revs out on the gov. to about 30 mph (don't know how accurate the Puch speedo is.

I had hoped the stopping power of the moped brakes would be better than my first bike with V brakes but it is nowhere near bike one.

Using a manual idler/ clutch with a HT kit clutch lever and this works well.
Pulleys / clutch down to ist jackshaft. then to the bike hub made into a jackshaft via pulleys then to chain to rear bike sprocket adapted to the moped wheel.

Electrical power for lights is from a 24v Razor scooter motor driven with a 30 tooth sprocket on the engine and a 50 tooth on the motor, using scooter chain (#25) - looks like a good ratio for the goverened engine as the volt meter reads 11 something at goverened rpm.

Took a pic of my favorite throttle lever - gear selector made into a thumb throttle.

There are some things left to do (make guards, aircleaner. some pinstripes, fill in the space behind the engine with a tool box).

I don't get much excerize on this rig as I am peddaled out a 12 mph.

I love the engine and the power, the curiser handlebars, the nice ride.

The bike weighs 2 pounds less than myself at 136# , so total wt. (race wt.) is less than a Honda 200 atv weighs by itself. Nice.

Notes- belt drives need spring loaded idlers on the NON drive (slack) side - ask me how I could make such a newbie mistake as to put the clutch on the wrong side and wonder why it slipped like wild.

Pulleys need to be free of rust to let the belt grab good.
Belts are the half inch wide "L" series with matching width pulleys.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool and unique design. I love the mechanical look of your bike with all the pulleys, makes your engine look massive. Great work...... just wondering how it handles?.... As the motor seems mounted very high up in the frame.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Do you use that thing to pull stuck cars out of the ditch. Looks like you have the power to do anything with that.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
The bike handles great. I love a long wheelbase. (and Harry- I love your unique design on your briggs build!)
Yes, the engine is high up, to give room for my feet and for the jackshafts down below.
The 212 @ 30 pounds only weighs about 5 more than the greyhound 2.5 on my other bike, so the weight isn't an issue.

Elmo- the power is great. With a single gear and a manual clutch, the torque overcomes
the typical weak start of smaller motors. The active governor also helps in starting off as it kicks in to compensate for the rpm drop when you engage the clutch.
I did think about a cent. clutch a lot. But I like to put-put around at low revs.