First Time Boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

nomadica

May 9, 2011
Springville, UT
I've been stalking all of you guys for a few months now trying to figure out how to build one of these board trackers. I think I am ready to go for it. I'll have to figure some stuff out along the way, but that's the fun of it, right? I just pick up my frame. A 1930's Schwinn. Beautiful bike, but I plan to make her prettier, or uglier. I love that seat! I hope it can salvaged.

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Would coasters hubs on the rear and a drum on the front be possible? If so what is recommended?

A set of Worksman.. or Huskys either are available with coasters and drums. Worksman being the best. Huskys the next Best. What type of motor are you planning?

nomadica

May 9, 2011
Springville, UT
That's another perplexing situation for me. I have seen tons of engines online, but I'd like to see one in real life on this type of bike so I can see how it works. What do you guys recommend? Briggs & Stratton, Lifan, Whizzer, Grubee...? I weigh about 175 and would like some decent speed. Is it an issue of gear ratios mixed with cc's?

Also, I'm still kind of lost on the pedal thing. What purpose do they serve? Do they work in conjunction with the motor? I know they can work with the rear braking system.

Someone please educate me.

nomadica

May 9, 2011
Springville, UT
Sorry, I've got a lot of ?'s. Regarding wheel set ups, is it possible to get new drum hubs and keep my original sprockets? I guess the engine chain drive goes on the opposite side?For such a simple design there is a lot to consider.

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
Sorry, I've got a lot of ?'s. Regarding wheel set ups, is it possible to get new drum hubs and keep my original sprockets? I guess the engine chain drive goes on the opposite side?For such a simple design there is a lot to consider.
I know how you feel. I have scoured these threads and reread many times and still feel lost at times. You can keep the original crank sprocket, I would imagine. I used a coaster brake hub on mine so I could use the manic mechanic sprocket adapter which has made life much easier than using the kit sprocket adapter. Yeah, the engine drive chain goes on the left side. If you do use a drum brake on the rear, your original pedal drive cog might not fit on the new drum hub. If you run a drum brake on the front, coaster brake on the back, you'd have good stopping power. I usually only use the front brakes anyways, unless I have to make a sudden stop, then I use the coaster brake a little. You can pick up a coaster brake hardware kit for like $10 and it includes the cog and the straps and ring. Try to use wheels with 11-12 gauge spokes for they are stronger. Sorry if I seem to ramble, I'm up late.:) don't worry about asking questions, this is the place to do it, and these are prolly the nicest people on the Internet. :p