welder

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good morning Corgi. I liked that one too, Really basic, some of it. They really did a nice job of illustrating and keeping it easily understood.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really do appreciate your opinions and that's good information Civl. LOL, can't tell you how many times that almost ended up in the shop. Got that turkey day 25% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket too.

Real welder question, how do most folks weld a bead? Zig-zag or straight line? One of those things when some one posts an article suggesting one, some one responds stating that professionals do the opposite. Which I am just learning is a good thing. Kinda like the breaking in an engine debate. Forces further research. Drove me insane when I went to build my first MB though.

Got my first burn from welding. Small hole in blue gene pants leg which of course was found almost immediately by a small pc of red hot slag. Was fun. Did the "welder dance" lol

.weld

I miss Hiker. He is the guy who made the Smilies things. Fun guy. Off getting an edumacation.
From now on, every body who is gonna go MIA, has to apply for leave and have good cause! Is a rule.
Hiker did say he would not be around.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Most cases, I weld straight (unless I've been drinkin'). If I'm having to fill a gap, I might do a little intentional weaving.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
lol Civil.

Odd thing about the muffler welds. Turned purple when hot. The steel 2 steel stayed that way and the brass when it cooled blended in. But bad vision day and is cloudy so have to take pics and blow up. (Got eye glasses ordered and on the way)

I can't remember the last time I had a beer. I mean that. Woke bandaged up and with a broken kick-stand. The leg was broke in half! Still don't know how I did that. Reverse at high speed? Carol said I was "Fine, just as pleasant as you could be"
Local beer tenders knew to shut me off when I got polite and giddy. "Dan, last one there K? Your mighty happy"
Man I miss beer. Ridding past a pub an thinking just 1 or 2. But that just turns into 12, snork.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Ouch! I don't drink often, but I do find that it helps bring out a creative flare when working on a project. That's how I ended up with a hydraulic dump bed on my pickup! I started off just wanting to learn how to paint. Now, I will have some great theater seating when I go to the drive in!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing em. Around here, all the drive ins have been destroyed. Kind of a bummer.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Here you go, Dan. This took me about 6 months. I inhereted this truck from my brother when he passed back in '98. It was in rough condition then, but ran great. I drove it for several years as it was. Eventually, I got to where I wanted to do something with it and just never did. It has been parked for over 3 years. I went out to crank it one day and it would barely idle. That gave me the drive to finish what I started. I have been shuffling work, new baby, honey do list, and this project. I didn't want to pay $3K for a paint job for this old truck, so I bought some spray guns and learned how to paint. I took the truck down all the way, so the only thing on the frame was a bare cab. Everything else was removed, except the engine and drive train. While I had the bed off, I thought it would be nice to have a dump bed for the occasions that it could help my back, so I did that too. I even restored the inside, new seats(mainly for the baby) it had bucket seats in it before, and a 700R4 transmission(4speed automatic with overdrive). I get right at 20 miles per gallon now!

Attachments

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Got my first burn from welding. Small hole in blue gene pants leg which of course was found almost immediately by a small pc of red hot slag. Was fun. Did the "welder dance" lol
I have had a couple of serious welding burns, the worst when stud welding beams for building, stud welding uses a machine that welds well, a 'stud' it looks like a huge nail, to a beam so concrete will have something to attach itself to anywayz, the stud welder used required a ceramic that was put around the base of the stud prior to welding and smashed off once welded, occasionally when welding these ceramics broke resulting in hot slag spewing everywhere, of course when it happened to me the first time slag hit my jeans around my knee, rolled down leg and into my above ankle high work boot and began to melt its way into my foot, anyone whos worn the above ankle high work boots would be aware they aren't too quick to get off LoL...i couldnt walk properly for a week after this incident, and YES i was wearing spats no idea how it made it so far into my boot, slag lodged on the arch of my foot ffs :-| I now ALWAYS wear a leather apron when welding looking at it shows its value now, which reminds me, i been meaning to pick up a newie haha...set of leather 'arms' ain't a bad idea if your going to be doing a heap of welding...

KiM

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have had a couple of serious welding burns, the worst when stud welding beams for building, stud welding uses a machine that welds well, a 'stud' it looks like a huge nail, to a beam so concrete will have something to attach itself to anywayz, the stud welder used required a ceramic that was put around the base of the stud prior to welding and smashed off once welded, occasionally when welding these ceramics broke resulting in hot slag spewing everywhere, of course when it happened to me the first time slag hit my jeans around my knee, rolled down leg and into my above ankle high work boot and began to melt its way into my foot, anyone whos worn the above ankle high work boots would be aware they aren't too quick to get off LoL...i couldnt walk properly for a week after this incident, and YES i was wearing spats no idea how it made it so far into my boot, slag lodged on the arch of my foot ffs :-| I now ALWAYS wear a leather apron when welding looking at it shows its value now, which reminds me, i been meaning to pick up a newie haha...set of leather 'arms' ain't a bad idea if your going to be doing a heap of welding...

KiM
Man, that sucks Kim.

Helped a guy make a desk in a small steel cabin on a ship. I was just to hold a pc of steel plate up while he welded below. Small space and I was between him and the door. (hatches are horizontal, doors on ships are vertical. hehe, wait for the "nut-uhh's)
Any way, hot slag goes down his boot. I can't let go as the steel plate would drop on his head. This "full- growed" man is kicking me in the shin just as hard as he could. LOL. So he is "screaming let me up" I am screaming "I can't let go" This went on for 3 or 4 back and forths until I finally bent down and held the plate up with the back of my neck and climbed over him and into the corner. Neither of us walked well for a good while. His name was Goober. lol, just remembered that. A really "Good Ol' Boy" Great fun. He was either getting married or divorced each time we sailed. We worked 4 months on, 2 off. So he was happy or heart broken half the yr like clock work.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool day of practice. Welds are starting to look more like welds and not globes of metal, which is cool. but 2 of 8 were no good. Also had no luck with using pam on parts to be welded. Works awesome keeping the tip clean. Wipes clean with just a paper towel after a slight scrape with the pliers. (thanks again Kim) Getting far less if any spatter. As soon as I get gas and a wee bit better gonna try a real project. Think a trailer. Is already bolted together so can keep bolts with it just in-case. Then a steel tank.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
i picked out a real heavy hooded sweatshirt, hood and a helmet works good. get a helmet with the darkening/light-sensing feature from home depot, take the lens setup and switch it with the one in your helmet, then return the one to home depot. welding is expensive, save where you can. ask around hardware stores for some anti-spatter. lowes and depot would definatly have it. if you weld alot barehanded.....you're hands keep getting slighty sunburnt and dry until you have mechanic hands like me, but it gos away with time. now i dont braze.....but it should be way cheaper/easier..most older bikes are butted and brazed, anyone know about brazing?

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
and welding a bead...make little circles....like a row of quarters on an angle. when metals are fitted, a gap is left where they meet, like a V, and that V is where you lay the bead, sometimes you might have to make 3 passes and stack beads on top of each other, this will also strengthen the weld.