Chain Guard and Burnt Legs

GoldenMotor.com

Sassifrasstea

Jul 19, 2008
Eastern Oklahoma
I recently asked you guys what would make a chain loud. Following your advice I tightened the chain and took a ride. Still loud. I got home and checked and the chain guard had pretty much come off. It broke at the bolt and was riding on my chain. I took it completely off and the clanging noise was gone. I have noticed that in a lot of the videos the chain guard is not on the bike. Is this the norm? I would hate for that thing to come off and tear into my leg. Also, do any of you put any kind of shield between the engine and your legs so you don't get burned when you come off the bike? The temperature is 105 with the heat index, so I wear shorts. With the fuel tank on top, my legs don't reach the ground when I get off so I have to be very careful not to touch the hot metal (I have been burned twice). I have done searches for these two things and can't find any information on them. I plan on getting a bike with a smaller frame, but I really don't want to do that now unless I have to. Any thoughts?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My chain guard broke in the same place where it mounts to the motor. I made a new tab and welded it on and reinforce with some flat strap.

I am not a big fan of not using a chain guard...too easy to get something caught.

Nope, never burned myself...I ride with shorts once in a while, I think my hairy leg's protect me from burns rotfl

I did burn the nose of my shoe one time on the muffler.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
A little nail polish on every bolt thread acts like a mild LocTite. My chain guard rattled for months until I finally spent a few hours scrubbing, tightening, rotating, and now every nut and bolt on Rocinante has a dab of nail polish.

All those little squeaks and rattles disappeared, leaving only the occasional and quirky "thunks", like the one on my front which has nothing to do with rotation or speed, that have been a mystery for a year.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't use the chainguard on my bikes.

Can't help you with the burning sensations except for to say "don't touch the hot parts".

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My experience with people who ride motorcycle for the first time especially dirt bikes will always burn them selfs with the exhaust.

In due time they learn how to mount and dismount without burning them selfs. You could try to lean the bike over a little and instead of swinging your leg over the tank...swing it back over the seat. Just a thought hope it helps.