Count down to a major road trip...

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will be leaving you all on Monday the 16th to begin my desperately seeking the real America road trip.

I am not taking a motorized bicycle, but this is the Tavern and this is a slightly off topic topic.

I am riding my big fat 800cc Suzuki cruiser (Vlousia or C50 for those who are interested) across a large chunk of the U.S. via U.S. Route 6, once the longest road in America, but since a portion was de-commisioned in the early 60's, it's shorter than U.S. Route 20 by a couple hundred miles.

I will be riding from my house near the Ohio/Pa. border, west until I reach the end of it in Bishop, Ca.

It will take me across several states and over several mountain ranges, desrets and time zones.

Some say I am nuts....Mrs. Joe says "Have fun!"

I am posting this in case anyone wants to drop me a few tips or experiences of their own in this kind of thing. I have been riding M/C's since I was very young, and have been riding on the road since I was 14, so I am pretty well versed in streetbike riding, beyond that I've taken a few short road trips like Ohio to Fla., ect. but always in a car and with someone else.

It should be fun/interesting/a test of my physical and mental endurance.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh yeah, I called it "Desperately seeking the real America road trip" because I have to see if the America I was told was out there when I was a kid still exists.

I think it does.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I would give some advice, but you have been riding longer then me and probable already know everything thier is to know.

I made a trip with a few buddy's from Tucson to LaPaz, MX on my XR600. Alot of it was off-road. It was one of the best experience's of my life.

I wish a safe and fun ride for you Joe. Be careful, look out for the idiot's!

Good Luck Joe (^)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can teach an old dog new tricks....or advice.

I don't know everything...just ask Mrs. Joe.rotfl

I already ran into a small snafu...the central part of the U.S. is under water. Indiana, Illinois and Iowa to be exact. I do have a few days before I go through there...might have to make a detour north or south then back to 6 somewhere else.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
It was about 1300 mile's, no where near your planned trip but I'd say about 40% of that was off-road in the desert. I rode a 1993 Honda XR600, it's a enduro (on and off-road bike).

This trip was in 1997, and credit card's espeacially in Mexico were no good. I can imagine even today there are some place's that credit cards wont do. So dont rely just on cards, carry some cash.

Take lot's of break's, help's keep you alert. And get off and move around to get the blood flowing. My leg's from the knee's down swelled up from sitting so long and never seemed to get better. This also helps avoid arm pump or hand pump, lack of blood to the hands and arm. Thier where times were I could not even pull the clutch in.

A kindney belt will help you ride longer, just like a boxer who keep's jabing his oponents kidney's it wear's them down. Every jolt, every bump, every pot hole bounce's your kidney's and wears you out faster. A kidney belt will help with that.

Be sure to let someone know of your progress at least every few day's, especially when you ride alone. I know you said Mrs. Joe just said Goodbye, but you know as well as I do she will be worried. And if you are worried that she is worried it will only take attention away from you from paying attention to the rode.

You seem to have your route planned out, that's good. But just as you noted about the flood's, thing's change. You can't alway's count on your plan, you have to be flexiable. You have to be prepared to change your plan on a instant. Every time we changed or route or something did not go right one of my buddies would freak out. It takes the enjoyment away from the trip. Just go with the flow and dont stress the small stuff.

Never ride beyond your mean's, and what I mean by that is how many mile's a day will you ride? The most important part is to stay alert, as you know you have to ride VERY defensively on a motorcycle and if you over do it, your defensive driving suffer's.

And of course plan for evey weather, from rain to high temp's to even snow. Nothing suck's more then not having the right riding gear. It's hard to pack everyhting you need, water some food, tools, you know the usually stuff. But find the space, thier will alway's be something you wish you had.

And dont forget about other states helmet laws, it's a good ideal to wear one anyway's :rolleyes:

Well I can go on and on but I already made myself sound like a idiot. It's just like riding around town but much much longer. Alway's be alert, never assome a driver is going to do what they are suposed to do because they wont. Always be awear of what's around you. The most important is to enjoy the ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good advice, thanks.

I have a back/kidney belt. Clothing/riding gear for all weather and I've ridden in snow before, so unless it deep on the road, I'm good there. I don't dislike riding in the rain, but I worry a bit about the bike although it's never had a problem with rain before and I've been in some winner downpours!

I have a phone card to call Mrs. Joe once a day (I promised) and my bank/debit card and cash.

Not sure how many miles a day, but plenty of stops are planned, even if for just a few minutes.

Plan on wearing all my riding gear in every state regardless of laws, that's gloves, full leathers, full face helmet and extra eye protection.

I'm not in a hurry nor will I have "get thereitis"....I plan on this taking anywhere from two weeks to a month plus. No set destinations and if the weather is really gonna suck through the mid section of the U.S., then my plans are changing when I leave (maybe I WON'T follow U.S. 6 the whole way). Maybe I'll volunteer to fill sandbags for a few days along the way?

Still I will end up somewhere and ride home the long way....

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I told you, you already know everything. That's why you are Godfather :D

C50, that's the Boulevard right? Nice (^)

I had a 86 Honda Rebel 250 for a short time. No where near the machine you have. I liked it though, it was a little sucker but alot of fun. That's the closest thing I had to a cruiser.

This was back in the early 90's in high school, it wasn't cool enough so I got rid of it. I had to have a enduro or sport bike to be cool, what a idiot I was. I'm more of a off-roader type.

Boy has time's changed, I'll take the Rebel now

:ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
....and I wouldn't mind a "dual sport" or as we used to call 'em "enduro's" Not a giant pig of a bike like the 1200cc BMW's but a nice 250cc of some kind.

As for knowing it all, that's part of this trip- I think I'm gonna learn a thing or two from it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
May dash the plans to follow U.S. 6 completely- I can follow it for awhile, but in sevral places it is very likely that the roads will be closed due to flooding (Illinois through Iowa). Alternate is to ride 6 until I get to Indiana, then I 69 south to I 70, then west until it meets up with 6 in Denver.

Heck, it's just a road trip, I guess I can change my plans and just "enjoy the ride".

As long as I get to do some desert and mountain riding, and eat at a lot of little local diners, I will be happy.
No Bogus King, Flunky's Fried Chicken, McGagme's, ect. Only local flavor!

The bike is totally ready, and so am I....commencing final countdown.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Have you consider route 66 ? I've alway's wanted to, I'm young thier is still time I hope.
It's probably all been commercialized but I saw a TV show about it the other day and still seem's like alot of fun and cool thing's to see. They where showing a bike club that made the run. Just a thought

I wish you well Joe, be safe, be careful, and enjoy the ride.
(c)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
66 is a ghost road...it can be followed in part, if you know where to look, but has long since been de-commisioned. It goes through the same country I may need to avoid.

I have thoroughly water proofed everything that can be water proofed.

I might just have to suck it up and "enjoy" the rain for a day or two....