Rag Joint

GoldenMotor.com

swdave

Mar 21, 2009
south west michigan
Do you have to use the outside rubber ring for the sprocket my hub is not tall enough to use the outer ring and get the sprocket to go over the hub my instructions from powerking say leave it off any input on thisdrn2

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Go to the hardware store and get you some nylon or rubber washers and put them in , in place of that ring , they may be thin enough to do the job and still take stress off the spokes .

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
DON'T run the sprocket/clam shell against the naked spokes - that's some of the worst advice I've heard! At the very least it'll kink the spokes, no matter what yer lookin' at damage that way. The spokes are at a slight angle to the sprocket so all the pressure would be concentrated at the pinch point... bad news anyway ya look at it.

Skip the BS altogether - the rag joint is a POS, get a sprocket adapter from MANIC Mechanic or Piratecycles, even IF ya manage to get the rag joint on there - it's still a nightmare, they never align right no matter how hard ya try ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At least run a piece of leather or a harder rubber (not inner tube) in between the spokes and the sprocket.

Having said that, I will ask you what you mean by "my hub is not tall enough to use the outer ring and get the sprocket to go over the hub".

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Godfather , I know you want to hear from Dave on this but for the sake of being bored , I thought I would tell you my analysis of his question . His outer fiber or rubber ring is so thick it won't allow the sprocket to slip over the hub . Assuming that the hole in the sprocket is the right size to actually slip over the hub. If I'm full of beans then it was nice to hear from you anyway .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Joe, I was a little confused about his description of the problem too but you might be right. In a case like this we would sure benefit from a photo. I don't think I've ever seen a situation that the rubber was too thick to allow the sprocket to fit over the hub. I have seen rubber that was cut at an angle so if installed it would assure a wobble due to the uneven thickness. I hope he comes back with some more information.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is not a good idea to lose either rubber. The sprocket does not need to be tight agenst the hub. It just has to be perfectly centered. On many of the less expensive bikes, the sprocket dosent even come close but if well centered is no problem. BE has a great how to install the sprocket section. 4-Stroke Engine Kit Installation (The rag joint is the same for both the 2 and 4 stroke)

Below are some pics of a Point Beach set up. The sprocket it self touches none of the wheel.

Hope that helps and was your concern.

Attachments

swdave

Mar 21, 2009
south west michigan
What lefty said is right there is not enough height for the outer joint and the sprocket i have filed the hole fits great with no joint I think will order the hub from pirate i have a few bikes would like to try one anyhowdrn2