New bike problems- HELP

GoldenMotor.com

dirtybird

Aug 26, 2009
asheville
Hey there everybody- I recently switched my 66cc grubee starfire from the vintage western flyer it was riding after the chain tensioner plowed into the rear wheel. I put my kit onto a newer schwinn cruiser seven (real brakes!), and added a clutch kit from Jim, along with a new SBP air filter. Went out for a test ride last nite and the engine fired up immediately, but went directly to screaming high rpms without touching the throttle (which seems unresponsive). I had to clamp down on the brakes to stop, as when i disengaged the clutch the engine revved extremely high. After stalling the engine, I got it so it barely starts and chugs along, but now completely cuts off when I disengage the clutch. WTF? I also am wondering if the wiring scheme has anything to do with it? I have the engine wires and cdi wires connected color correct, but the throttle wires should be black-ground, red-white? correct or no? The throttle is pulling the assebly up and down, but is my first suspect. Anybody got any ideas?? Rob:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
first thing to check is the throttle cable where it goes into the carb. is the slide seated in the little tiny pin in the carb itself? if it's not, it would cause high rpm. make sure that's all put together smooth.

dirtybird

Aug 26, 2009
asheville
I have been wondering about that, and I did reassemble the assembly last nite but was too late to test and its pouring outside today...

first thing to check is the throttle cable where it goes into the carb. is the slide seated in the little tiny pin in the carb itself? if it's not, it would cause high rpm. make sure that's all put together smooth.

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
A friend of mine had the same problem Make shore the to screw on cap on top of the carby is screwed down tight and not cross threaded (the top where the throttle cable first goes through) and make shore the idle screw isnt wound too far in thanks hope you fix your problem mick29 PS if it doesnt solve the problem Email me

jim kaszynski

Sep 22, 2009
phenix az.
Take carb. off with throttle connected turn throttle is the valve going up and down ? if not make sure valve is lined up right is the idler screw going in the right grove? Phoenix JIM