High rpms, at start.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hello, yet another problem with my engine. I'm guessing it's a leak somewhere, but I can't understand where. Everything seems to be in order. First of all... Is my air filter (material inside the air intake) supposed to be wet with fuel? I'm sure it's supposed to happen, doesn't seem to be anything blocking the fuel from the air filter. Second. When I start my engine, it revs really high. It will eventually lower a bit, but then fluxuates in rpms. This is just idling, no throttle, clutch handle squeezed, so engine dissengaged. Also, I have little power. It slowly dies going up hill, and will only pass a certain rpm downhill. It feels like it's starving, but it's getting everything it needs. Also, at an idle at a red light, white smoke starts to come out of the muffler, and progessively gets worse producing a big cloud of smoke. I am cursed with this engine. I've had nothing but problems. Can anyone help me?

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
By the way, when I start the engine, I pedal a bit, clutch out, pedal, no throttle, awaiting the feel of slight popping engagement, squeeze clutch back in, and rpms shoot up, then lower a bit, then they are random.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Feeling a bit of deja vou.

Spray wd40 around the inlet area while running if it changes not you have a leak
The wet fliter foam is normal as these things have no reed cage they vomit a bit of fuel/oil mix out the front.

The idle screw on the side of the carb should fix you high idle turn anticlockwise.

If this is the same problem as last night the white smoke really sounds like it has worn rings and is loosing compression. pull the jug off and check it out.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm also thinking "air leaks"...
Also, there shouldn't be that much smoke!!! Mix 2-cycle oil @ 24:1 for the break in, & 32:1 after that. That should cure the excess smoke.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
agreed on the air leak...
you can try to choke it out when it is warm
full choke should die within a few seconds, or it is sucking air from somewhere else
good luck :)

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I'm running 20:1, 25:1 was break in. I can't see it being the rings, the top end was rebuilt. I don't know. Idle screw doesn't change the high rpms at start up. It's very confusing. my engine sucks. It's always given me problems. I'm just gonna have to get my licence. I'm really tired of CONSTANTLY fixing this thing.

Flowsion

Sep 14, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Check your inlet gasket. Mine did the same, and couldn't idle. I tried playing with the choke and idle speed to no avail, and it wasn't until I pulled the carb off that I noticed my gasket was halfway disentigrated after only a few days of riding. The stock gaskets are garbage and should be replaced immediately.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Remove the careb, and intake. Seal the intake gasket with Seal-All, or RTV silicone (any kind of silicone really) or even form a gasket....
Make sure the carb is tight against the intake and there are no leaks between the two. You should be fine from there.