Modified intake......

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I was wondering.....if anyone else had an issue with a modified intake which was neccessary on a frame such as mine.....so far I've seen one other person whom has the same bike and he also had to stretch the intake out and make it a side draft......off the line it sucks !....however......once you're going....it * Screams *........I've clocked a 34 MPH on a 49cc motor....which I don't think is cool....( blow it up ? )....does anyone think a 45 degree piece of electrical conduit might suffice ....or am I asking for even more issues ?... hit me up y'all ?.....

Thanks,
Salty brnot

Attachments

buzzkill

Aug 22, 2009
atlanta, ga
I have the same issue with mine, I'm going to be trying a smaller carb off a pocket bike, it's the same bore size but has no float, kinda like a weed eater carb, just waiting for it to show up in the mail.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I have the same issue with mine, I'm going to be trying a smaller carb off a pocket bike, it's the same bore size but has no float, kinda like a weed eater carb, just waiting for it to show up in the mail.
would you please keep me informed as to how well it performs ?....I also thought of a weed eater carb and came upon the conclusion....the Shindaiwa carb has the EXACT same air cleaner.......design or insanity ?

Thanks,
Saltybrnot

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Can you let me know if it works correctly ?...I swear I'm at my wits end.....off the line the accellaration sucks !.....sometimes I even have to pedal the ***** to keep going.....HELP !

Thanks,
Saltybrnot

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I just posted this in another thread lol but;

I had a very similar problem with carb clearance on my frame, I found simply cutting the intake manifold would allow me to rotate it - changing the angle and canting it to the side. You need be careful however as if it's an aluminum intake, it's nearly a 1/4 inch thick sidewall and if the two halves aren't flush it will interrupt the flow and collect fuel. If it's a steel one, the step is so marginal it really doesn't matter much.

Another concern to be wary of is vibration, should you choose to extend the manifold - be careful to mount it (carb) securely to keep the shaking down, frothed fuel is not going to help performance lol

*My carburetor is more level than it appears in this pic - my camera was held by a slightly crooked person heh

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Can you let me know if it works correctly ?...I swear I'm at my wits end.....off the line the accellaration sucks !.....sometimes I even have to pedal the ***** to keep going.....HELP !

Thanks,
Saltybrnot
You want your cake and eat it to? yeh me to. if it goes good up top expect it crap down low. maybe get a smaller rear sprocket.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I just posted this in another thread lol but;

I had a very similar problem with carb clearance on my frame, I found simply cutting the intake manifold would allow me to rotate it - changing the angle and canting it to the side. You need be careful however as if it's an aluminum intake, it's nearly a 1/4 inch thick sidewall and if the two halves aren't flush it will interrupt the flow and collect fuel. If it's a steel one, the step is so marginal it really doesn't matter much.

Another concern to be wary of is vibration, should you choose to extend the manifold - be careful to mount it (carb) securely to keep the shaking down, frothed fuel is not going to help performance lol

*My carburetor is more level than it appears in this pic - my camera was held by a slightly crooked person heh
Dang !......that looks like a solution and I happen to have a spare intake pipe......( I know what I'm going to do today )

Laters,
Saltybrnot

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
buy a steel intake and do the same thing and weld it...good luck...Dennis

Dennis....where do I procure a steel intake ?

Thanks,
Salty

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, as you can actually weld aluminum I wouldn't worry too much - I've just never bothered to actually weld mine lol

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
buy a steel intake and do the same thing and weld it...good luck...Dennis

Dennis....where do I procure a steel intake ?

Thanks,
Salty
spooky tooth has them...7 dollars...here is a great sight...MetalsDepot...you can purchas steel tubing, flat stock...small sizes...cheap...Dennis