My push trailer build.

GoldenMotor.com

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Hello, I will show my push trailer build progress and "Google Sketch" drawings I did for fun.

As of now, the trailer is back on the cutting board as it's current hitch has way too much play and is probably the cause of some massive wobbling.

After researching and pricing I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper and faster for my to buy a riding device for cheap and salvage it for a push trailer.

Here are some pictures of the push trailer that I purchased from ebay fro $150. Fun but DANGEROUS with a 5.5 real honda engine and a 6" wide rear tire.

Edit: Completed now with a 6.5 clone engine as the genuine honda died. I never checked the sprocket but from the picture below it is a 60 teeth sprocket. The rear wheel is a 15" tire and the clutch is a 12 teeth #35 chain. Gauged at 44 mph before approching a stop sign.

Future enhancements my include a thicker 2 inch pipe as this pipe feels as if it flexes under heavy acceleration.

Attachments

Last edited:

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I had a hard time deciding on what I'll use for the hitch. That combined with bad planning and bad welding made a horrible hitch. A test ride had some bad results. Due to all the play (oversized holes) the trailer would violently jerk back and forth after a certain speed. It would also wobble back and forth badly. Hopefully a new hitch will fix this.

Attachments

Last edited:

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Man that thing was way better as a scooter than a push trailer.
It was cool in a straight line but making a turn was another story. It had good brakes but the good one was foot controlled. Quick stops were also an issue as it tried to throw me off of it. Those ugly handle-bars also flexed during stops which another issue.

I want something useful and this thing was just dangerous and really ugly IMO.

Last edited:

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
The push trailer is nearly complete. Just need a kill switch. I did find a problem with the engine though. It seems that it throws white smoke after a good drive. Engine most likely *(#$ed up.

I'll probably salvage parts from another 5.5 that I have. Funny that out of all the honda clones that I have, only the real one breaks. The odd thing is that after it starts smoking the rpm rises noticably and smells like it is running extremely. If it is a carb problem, I would be happy. The engine did sit for over a year. Oil is good.

Even though it is smoking the bike pulls very hard and I still haven't hit top speed yet and it keeps accelerating.

Here are pictures of the new hitch and the smoke from the exhaust.

Off topic: Forget what anyone says about the Miller Maxstar 150 STL welder. I is great only for thicker metal. They have a hotstart feature that helps from sticking. That feature blows holes right through any metal less than 1/4" thick. Most of my time was spent fighting with the machine and repairing holes using my loaded stinger in one hand another rod in my other hand to patch the holes and grind them smooth.

Any work on thin metal requires a wire feed. With a wirefeed machine, your welds are cleaner and Much MUCH more easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Well, I decided to go with a 6.5 hp clone. 6.5 because it was cheaper than the 5.5 and clone because they have proven themselves to be reliable and being cheaper is a bonus. I haven't test rode the 6.5 hp but I can honestly say that I don't like how hard it pulls when tapping the throttle. I'll most likely feather it when driving.

EsQueue

Jul 25, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Finally completed. Tested on a 2 block strech and hit 42 mph before shutting down. Hmm. Slightly quicker than I expected as it got there so fast and I didn't top out. Feel like I had a lot more room but I don't think that I'll ever find out. LOL.