nitrous.. really?

GoldenMotor.com

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Nitrous is great if the system is engineered correctly and used sensibly.

I've looked at the links posted for nitrous installation and they pose one serious problem: an uncorrected air fuel ratio when the nitros is activated.
This will make the motor run lean, overheat and if used in long bursts, cease the engine or damage the roller bearings if over revved.

To use nitrous you must have a method of adding extra fuel to the airstream to maintain correct air/fuel ratio.

Nitrous used in the right way is great, giving small engines a bit more power when it's needed, like climbing a hill.
If the engine makes 2 horsepower at 3500 rpm or it makes 2.5 horsepower at 2500 rpm with nitrous, the overall load on the engine is not significantly increased.

Scenario: you are approaching a hill doing 25 miles an hour. You know that the bike wont make it up the hill without pedalling.
When the bike speed falls to 20 miles an hour, you hit the nitrous button and maintain 20 miles an hour.

The engine has not been over revved, it didn't destroy itself and it will happily take another shot of nitrous with a corrected air/fuel ratio.

Scenario 2: You are going down a hill doing 35 miles an hour - you hit nitrous with an uncorrected air/fuel ratio and the bike gets to 45 miles an hour and BOOM the engine either blows the bottom end bearing or ceases the top end or both together.
Now you blame the nitrous for blowing up your engine.

Someone in scenario 2 has just made a fool of themselves, then they advise everyone else that nitrous blows up your engine.

I intend to fit nitrous to my bike, but it will be a well engineered system with a electric fuel pump coupled to a fuel injector supplying extra fuel when the nitrous is injected.

Fabian

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Nitrous is great if the system is engineered correctly and used sensibly.

I've looked at the links posted for nitrous installation and they pose one serious problem: an uncorrected air fuel ratio when the nitros is activated.
This will make the motor run lean, overheat and if used in long bursts, cease the engine or damage the roller bearings if over revved.

To use nitrous you must have a method of adding extra fuel to the airstream to maintain correct air/fuel ratio.

Nitrous used in the right way is great, giving small engines a bit more power when it's needed, like climbing a hill.
If the engine makes 2 horsepower at 3500 rpm or it makes 2.5 horsepower at 2500 rpm with nitrous, the overall load on the engine is not significantly increased.

Scenario: you are approaching a hill doing 25 miles an hour. You know that the bike wont make it up the hill without pedalling.
When the bike speed falls to 20 miles an hour, you hit the nitrous button and maintain 20 miles an hour.

The engine has not been over revved, it didn't destroy itself and it will happily take another shot of nitrous with a corrected air/fuel ratio.

Scenario 2: You are going down a hill doing 35 miles an hour - you hit nitrous with an uncorrected air/fuel ratio and the bike gets to 45 miles an hour and BOOM the engine either blows the bottom end bearing or ceases the top end or both together.
Now you blame the nitrous for blowing up your engine.

Someone in scenario 2 has just made a fool of themselves, then they advise everyone else that nitrous blows up your engine.

I intend to fit nitrous to my bike, but it will be a well engineered system with a electric fuel pump coupled to a fuel injector supplying extra fuel when the nitrous is injected.

Fabian
No offence but Nitros puts a masive load on any engine regardless or rpm, If you use a "wet type system" what is going to control the injector? microtec's are expensive!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol it's that "used sensibly" bit that gets most people that would strap a nitrous kit to their bike anyway laff

Never the two shall meet I figure :p

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Put nitrous on your bike!
It's expensive and will boost your engine to the amazing 2.1 horsepower level! You'll be able to almost feel the difference! All the neighborhood kids will think you are the coolest!

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
yep. like I said in the beginning.. it doesn't sound like a safe idea, particularly on these chinese engines which are prone to be wonky to begin with. Pumping extra crap to it to make it go faster seems the most dubious route to go. I'd rather go with an expansion exhaust or jackshaft kit than make a potential bomb outta my bike..

speedracer831

Oct 13, 2009
santa cruz
nos will work well put cram a couple cotton balls down the tube to regulate how much nos flows cause otherwise it flows way too fast for these engines. if you have the proper amount going into the engine, it wont blow up and it will give you quite a boost

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
yeah. all this feedback is exactly what I was thinking.. I'm looking into the tuned pipe option as well as SpookyTooth's CNS Carb.. Anyone try one of those or have feedback? Also waiting for the slant head replacement for my 66cc to come back in stock..
I've got the Spooky Carb.

Haven't got a lot of miles on it yet (still a bit afraid to ride after a wipe out broke my finger), and still have to get it dialed in perfectly.

But so far, I'll tell you, the carb makes the bike easier to start, and smoother running through a greater rpm range. I think acceleration is better. Not sure about top speed.

The handlebar mounted choke is nice. And the thing looks nice with it's nifty air breather. The original plastic one looks like..."carp" next to the one they give you.

The new throttle assembly is also nicer than the original that came on my Spooky Dresser.

All, in, it's a great value for the money you spend.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
nos will work well put cram a couple cotton balls down the tube to regulate how much nos flows cause otherwise it flows way too fast for these engines. if you have the proper amount going into the engine, it wont blow up and it will give you quite a boost
I'll get right on that....how about if I use some Chore Boy?

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
sounds like to much work, er, to risky for your motor. as i said in a earileir post, a big ole hill will do just (and maybe better) as fine as THAT stuff.