what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
got my header in yesterday for my yz80 pipe, i need to do some clean up work on it and hope to have it installed in the next few days, i also put in a new piston and did some cleaning on the fins of the jug, it's starting to look so pretty. pics once i get this motor back in my bike and the yz pipe put on.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five

I treated myself to a new engine, but I ordered the wrong front mount size... so I had to swap cases. Doh. New one seems way better than last one started.
Then my headlight died so I made a new one. I still run it all off white wire. This light is better than the last in performance.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
I swapped seats and added the sisssy bar, as well as the front disc brake it now stops so nicely. the seat is a tad uncomfortable as far as padding but the placement of it is superb. in the coming week i hope to have my yz pipe attached and should be ripping around even better than before.
brnot

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Today I called Duane... Yes that Duane and that call. Tanglebones down. Motor dead.

My RT head came in from Dax a few days ago, which is very nicely made, far higher quality than expected. I tore down my top end to install said head, and discovered horror and carnage. Left side wrist pin retaining clip lost it's ears. The cylinder and piston found them.

From the looks of things, the fragments made their way into the exchange ports, took a stroll through the case to the right side transfer port and left the scene of the tragedy via the exhaust.

A few weeks ago, I heard a nasty metallic noise from the engine, coupled with a noticeable loss of power. I discovered a broken exhaust header weld. After changing pipes, I was back to riding, although a bit gutless, for about a hundred miles. Looking at the grooves in my top end, I can't believe it ran at all.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Deadbones now! Duane is nice guy to talk to, big help to me when i needed it. Sorry to here about your engine...................Curt

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I put new front & rear fresh tubes on the BoXer.

The front tube had a big cut in it, would not even hold air for 10 seconds. So I just bought two new tubes and replaced them both. The old rear one will become a spare.

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
It's all good Curt, I've been awaiting this time for awhile, the fated day when the SD Stinger croaked and a call would be placed to Denver. In all honesty, I was going to place that call next week anyway, I was simply informed by the universe to do it NOW. Lesson learned, I'll buy a second motor, week after next. I'm all smiles right now.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well, the new motor is in, and running. What a difference, this thing is a new animal! Ten times the motor the last one could hope to be. My speed record was 32.5mph, the new motor broke that with no problem, and the rings still have to seat. Once I'm done with break in, I'll really see what it can do.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Well, the new motor is in, and running. What a difference, this thing is a new animal! Ten times the motor the last one could hope to be. My speed record was 32.5mph, the new motor broke that with no problem, and the rings still have to seat. Once I'm done with break in, I'll really see what it can do.
Break in, shmreak in. Just go full throttle and seat those suckers in!

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Ordered my new Micargi Mustang from Khols for just under $400. Should be here by the eighth. Tanglebones really is deadbones now, the frame has lost it's tensile strength in a real way, sagging a half inch under my weight. I intended to give it away, but I'm unsure of it's safety, perhaps I'll turn it into abstract art...

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Checked my air pressure and the tightness of a few key nuts and bolts. Checked the top speed 25.1, really need to put that 44 tooth back on. Cruised around town a few times. Wondering if its ethical to sell it with the old steel rims.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
As long as the rims are true, ain't got rust holes and such, they're fine. Everybody has opinions on rims, but for the most part that's all they are. According to me, it's unethical to abuse any rim.

Jcs1989

Jul 31, 2016
Alabama
Engineered a decent chain tensioner. Makes a world of difference. I can finally pedal my bike without all the solid tension on the chain. dance1

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I didn't do anything on my own bike recently, but i did set a new record today. Fixed *seven* bikes. It's a thing I do in my free time: if any of the neighborhood kids have bike trouble, I fix their bike. I like them to be safe. Five were newer ones I hadn't seen before. Some of the kids have grown a bit since I last worked on their bikes. Two just needed air. Three needed the chain put back on and the rear wheel adjusted. Two needed a new inner tube (of which I happened to have spares, and that's why I scrounge for discarded bikes and parts on my walks - free parts).
One poor bike needed almost everything, poor kid. His dad did the best he could assembling it, I think, but something tells me he had trouble with it. It may have been his first time doing that. The front fork was on backward, ruining any hope of rake-and-trail. The seatpost was just sitting in there, so I tightened it down for the kid's crotch-height. Had to adjust the wheels and chain, air up the tires, swap the brake handles around, adjust the brakes so they made contact on the rim correctly, tighten down the headset so it wouldn't rattle the kids teeth on every bump, tighten the loose pedal, and I think about three other things.
He loved it. He said it was like a new bike. I got choked up a bit, 'tis true. He offered to mow my lawn and pay me money and stuff. I told him to just ride his bike safely and have fun; I have my own lawnmower. Hitting the asphalt is not fun, I like to think I can spare them a bit of that. That, and I just like working on bikes to be honest. But I'm tired now, and so the neighborhood bike shop is closed for the day. Well...unless it's like an "emergency", then maybe...

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hopefully the kids see what you do and learn how themselves how to repair bikes. At least the older ones. One day my dad said look how I repair the flat. I was maybe 7 years old at the time he mentioned, this is the last time. Except he added if I had trouble he would help.

MT

Last edited: