what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

A few days ago I received my mirrors, 36t gear, and front brake set from Spooky Tooth Cycles, and front motor mount from Sick Bick Parts. The other day got the mirrors, front brake, and front motor mount on. Must I say that the SBP front motor mount is nothing short of amazing. The motor is rock solid and sitting at a very astetically pleasing spot. If you have a cranbrook or variant of it I HIGHLY recommend this part. Now to talk customer service. I have never in my life gotten such great service as I did from Spooky Tooth. They didnt have my choice of front brake in stock so I said just send the other one. They express mailed it to me and I got it in two days. I paid for regular shipping for all the parts(they came later as to be expected). They also sent a pair of upgraded brake pads. Every email I sent was returned very quickly and with all the info I needed. Sent them a very nice email regarding service. Now to what I did today. Lost my exhaust bolt after hitting the end of my exhaust on some snow. Noticed it was getting louder so I looked down going about 20mph. I saw it wiggling off. Stopped and tried as best I could to screw it back in but couldnt do much. About 2 blocks later it got LOUD. Lucky me I was only about 3 blocks from home. Riding loud enough to wake the dead I got home and inspected. Lost the bolt and blew threw the exhaust gasket. Took off the exhaust when it cooled and looked at the piston, lucky me fine again. Not so lucky the (replacement) exhaust bolt stripped the threads ever so slightly "again". Mixed up some JB Weld and put it on the threads of a new bolt, slid in a new gasket and bolted up the exhaust a little loose, will tighten it up when cured. Hopefully it will hold. Well that was my little adventure, anybody else have a fun story to share with the class?

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca

Looked at it is about all. destroyed the rag joint and chain on my bike the other day - waiting for my new sprocket adapter and until then, not even going to attempt to ride that thing. I know some people in here are frickin einstiens with those rag joints - i'm just over um period. The rag joint worked ok on my first build, but when i removed it and put it on my new bike holy sh it - things went south in a hurry. Couldn't get the right alignment on it.. so that's what i did

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

rode her like a boss!

also pissed some people by riding in the street through a construction zone.

hey, speed limit is 25, bike can do 25, it's fair game at that point.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc

That oring on the washer on the clutch handle pin is a good idea, Mine managed to pop the washer right off, acting as sorta a slide hammer.. Added some C clips, but meh, eventualy changed it to a twist grip, havent looked back :)

I finaly got my shift kit bike running.. And bought the seat post today.. Still need to make a shim for it... oh well.

Gonna install some washers in the muffler to act as baffels to try and quite it down somewhat after removing all the muff outta the muffler.
Left the petcock open, leaked a cup of fuel on my garage because the carb is not 100% level (CNS carb tilting back with the air filter down = slow leak, allways tilt up!)
Learned the puddle would not even ignite! maybe im using too much oil :p Or most of the gas evaporated by then I guess.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida

Went to the flea market and found some cylinder saddle bags for "Merit".

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

Decided to take one of children for a long ride. But first had him follow my lead and wipe the entire bike down, checked every bolt, fender, cable, chain. Just to show him that a little pre-inspection goes a long way into safety.
We found a lose screw on the rear fender of his bike, a chain with a little too much slack on mine. 5 min of wrench time, and we had ourselves a wonderfull 12 mile ride.
.we.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Purty awesome Mr. G. Those kinda lessons last a life time and are far-reaching in to so much more then just MB'ing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Tore down Worksman front drum brake to see if I did infact have it backwards. hehe, nope, didn't matter. I think. Tested it by power sliding in slush. Going down hill to a stop sign. (A "clenching" moment)

...and rode into a snow drift and got stuck. laff

That was kinda fun. Going now to buy much better boots. Or rivet an old tire to see if it will work as studs/winter tires.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

rode her like a boss!
Hells yea, try doing that in the snow :D

checked every bolt, fender, cable, chain. Just to show him that a little pre-inspection goes a long way into safety. and we had ourselves a wonderfull 12 mile ride.
.we.
Best lesson in life!

Tested it by power sliding in slush. Going down hill to a stop sign. (A "clenching" moment)

...and rode into a snow drift and got stuck. laff

Or rivet an old tire to see if it will work as studs/winter tires.
Haha, should strap some old chunks of studded tire to your boots, hey that's a good idea :) Dang near wiped out again today. Haven't hit the river yet. :(

I lowered my seat 3mm.
I've found small adjustments like that worthwhile, especially angle of seat. 3mm is the difference from an aching calf to a happy ride, for sure!

I've just been riding around, bikes are reliable, cruiser's getting stripped down for paint soon, still thinking Ford blue with white accents... should look good

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Too cold to ride today but I did order some double brake cable handles from Robert at Piston Bikes and had some good chat and guffahs with them. Cant wait till the snow is gone and temps are warmer.

PS anyone got a snow blower cheap?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i've been slowly building up my latest bike the last few days. the weather here is just too nice to spend all day working on it, so i've been riding a few hours everyday. (sorry everyone who lives outside of southern california...;))

got the rolling chassis together today (which means it's a bicycle) and spent waaay too long on the throttle. the bars are 70 year old Torrington's that had seen better days, but i stripped the chrome, rust, and pits, polished the steel and lacquered them, but the ends have been smashed so many times that my cool vintage Tomaselli Superpratic B 1/4 turn throttle wouldn't spin smooth, so i did a lot of grinding, squeezing, sanding and polishing just to make it fit.

but at least it's not that sloppy piece-o-crap plastic kit throttle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Thought about maybe doing a lil basic maintenance to my poor Schwinn winter beater - then decided against it as I wanna see just how long it'll last w/o any lovin' at all while I pound the heck outa it usin' it as my commuter...

...or mebbe it's jus' cause I wuz distracted & fiddling around w/the front suspension fer my taddy heh *innocent look*

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

laff

Ossum pic lol, but yea - that bike has run like a champ fer well o'er 6000 miles now, it's mostly jus' chain lube & tires I'm ignoring... tho I really outa swap the tires out given all the snow we got & there's no excuse fer neglecting the chains :oops:

TBH that bike never ceases to amaze me, the only engine maintenance I've ever hadta do was retorque the head bolts & that was only twice in all those miles *shrug*

So much fer HTs being "unreliable" :p ...well, I did hafta replace a cracked carby, but w/e lol

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc

I made a new custom 26.2mm to 29.0 mm seatpost adapator because apparently only 29.2mm is a common size and 29.0 I can't find anywhere.
Coulda made it 27.2 to 29.0mm, a more common size, but the 26.2mm suspension seatpost was $10 cheaper and let me make my insanely thin adapator 0.5mm thicker walled.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

that picture reminds me of starship troopers brain bug

today i roder her to work and back like i always do but for some reason it was really kicking butt today seemed to have more torqe or something but then the ride home from work was the same

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon

So yesterday I put on fenders and a 16 amp kill switch, had to dremal mounts and stuff for the fenders due to space issues, zip tied the kill switch to the stem. I then cooked cheese burgers for the family and just before it was all done I took a quick spin to Mcdonalds for there fries o perfection and had a conversation with the guy at the drive through. For a project to day I am trying to come up with some kind off foot wrap to keep my feet dry I want it to come about 6 inches up my leg and cover the front and top of my foot hmmmm??????? any Ideas, and it is snowing so I think I will get to take my first snow ride. peace out

Last edited: