Looking for an Speedometer

GoldenMotor.com

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Hi, I´d like to install an speedometer in my motor bike.

I´s appreciate any advice about this device; Either analog or digital. Thanks a lot.

See you in the road !!!

.shft.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I own several motorized bikes and I have tried many different digital speedometers. The ones that worked all had one thing in common. They had a single shielded wire running from the sensor at the wheel to the head unit. The ones that didn't work all had 2 wires stuck together (like speaker wire) and were unshielded. If it looks like 2 wires stuck together do not purchase it for your motorized bike. Chances are that electrical interference from the ignition system will give you erroneous readings.

I tried a wireless one once as well and it also didn't work with the motorized bike.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my wired scwhinn speedo worked if the speedo wires were far from the cdi wires and the speedo was mounted 6" in front of the handlebars like on the front of a basket.
i no longer have a basket on the front of my bike so i will make a 6" metal bracket to mount speedo on and put on front of handlebars.i will see if that works.but i would rather have a anolog speedo but i dont want to spend the extra money right now.

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Thanks for the advice, it´s very valuable.

I´d like to know about suppliers. Should I start in eBay or there is an store that carry it on inventory?

Regards.

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
buy a cheap digital speedo for 10.99 in sears....the cheap schwinn one works with magnets, easy to install, a sensor on the fork and a little magnet on a spoke..works fine, gives more info, but i just wanted to know mph...

dont get analog unless you get a good quality one...going 30 with a plastic piece of sh%%% aint that safe.

you can go for a wireless speedo for like 50 to 70 bucks...sold in most bike shops...

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
a cheap bell digial speedo works the best i had the old rego stile from the harley they work but not cor. so get it at wallyworld for $10.00 bucks you will be happy

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes I have installed this unit on my occ. It works well, however it does allow you to easily reset the odometer. I would prefer one that you could not reset.
It is a very easy install.

Attachments

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
I have the cheap schwinn model Echotraveler described. Once in a while It resets when accelerating before warm up. Ive gotten used to resetting it while moving. So its not a bad trade off for 10.99 for me.

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
Respuesta: Re: Looking for an Speedometer

I have the cheap schwinn model Echotraveler described. Once in a while It resets when accelerating before warm up. Ive gotten used to resetting it while moving. So its not a bad trade off for 10.99 for me.
hey dude! mine does that too! lol yeah i dont cart too much i always carry the little booklet...but i should jut the number down under the speedo.

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
sorry i saw this post a little late but what i use is a hand held gsp. it was only 40 from ebay. there are a bunch out there and mounts to fit on a bike. its a little more pricey but! the amount of info it provides is really cool top speed trip distance current speed. all kinds of stuff i got mine to go geocaching and just double up function. thats just my two cents tho.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
mine is the $9.99 Schwinn from Walmart. it's wired with a single wire... with the plug wire I use, which is extra wire cut from my '51 Chevy's new wire set ( rubber insulated solid core 6mm ).. it works perfectly

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Sellouma,
The install on a OCC couldn't be much easier. The cable length is just right. Avoid bends, lube flex cable befor installing. Don't over tighten any ty-raps if used.
If you can remove the clear lens, remove the two bottom screws and take out the movement.
Be sure that the internal gears are lubed.
Take note of the hair spring (you may have to shorten it later if your speedometer is not accurate.

If you have done the above, be sure to tape the lens on befor riding the bike(that way you can remove it later to calibrate the hair spring). When you know that it is right you can permently attach it.
I also run one of the cheap electronic speedometers.

The odometer knob can be removed by un screwing it(plug hole). I have about 1K Mi. on my analog speedometer. I have been told that the Wizzer analoug ($50 version) is exellent.

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
Sellouma,
The install on a OCC couldn't be much easier. The cable length is just right. Avoid bends, lube flex cable befor installing. Don't over tighten any ty-raps if used.
If you can remove the clear lens, remove the two bottom screws and take out the movement.
Be sure that the internal gears are lubed.
Take note of the hair spring (you may have to shorten it later if your speedometer is not accurate.

If you have done the above, be sure to tape the lens on befor riding the bike(that way you can remove it later to calibrate the hair spring). When you know that it is right you can permently attach it.
I also run one of the cheap electronic speedometers.

The odometer knob can be removed by un screwing it(plug hole). I have about 1K Mi. on my analog speedometer. I have been told that the Wizzer analoug ($50 version) is exellent.
That is very interesting.
Thanks for the info.